A STAFF REPORT
THE GOSHEN NEWS
A Middlebury teen was airlifted after a Tuesday night crash west of the town.
The collision occurred on C.R. 22 west of C.R. 35 at 9:39 p.m. Elkhart County police said an eastbound 2001 Mazda Protege driven by Tyler Beachy, 19, Middlebury, went of the south side of the road. The automobile struck several trees on the property at 14897 C.R. 22.
Police said Beachy suffered abrasions to his right knee and right arm, and possible internal injuries. He was transported via Medflight to Memorial Hospital in South Bend for medical treatment.
Beachy was issued a citation for not wearing a seatbelt and warned for driving too fast to avoid a collision, police said.
One person is dead after
a burglary in Elkhart.
Elkhart police responded to a burglary in progress around 2:30 p.m. at 1919 Frances St., according to a press release. They found that four people had forced their way into the home and that shots were fired.
They arrived to find two of the four subjects inside the home suffering from gunshot wounds, according to the release. One of the two subjects was pronounced dead at the scene. The homeowner said that the other two subjects had gotten away on foot.
After a short foot chase, Elkhart police officers arrested one subject in the 1800 block of Frances Avenue, according to the release.
One juvenile subject was taken to Elkhart General Hospital for treatment and then released, according to the release. The investigation is ongoing.
Three injured in
Three people were hurt in recent automobile-related crashes in Goshen:
• Steven Ray Hess, 31, Goshen, told Goshen police he was struck by a red-colored vehicle while on his bicycle at the intersection of Seventh and Washington streets Tuesday at 4:15 p.m. The driver of the vehicle fled the scene, Hess told police.
Hess suffered an injury to his right knee as a result of the collision but didn’t want medical attention, police reported.
• A driver was hurt in a two-vehicle crash Sunday on 15th Street, south of Adams, Goshen police reported.
The collision occurred around 8:30 p.m. Police said Erin Zimmerman, 22, Goshen, was driving south in a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt when the vehicle struck the rear of a parked 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The Chevrolet flipped over and slid about 70 feet before coming to a stop.
Zimmerman suffered lower arm pain as a result of the collision.
• A Goshen man was hurt Sunday when a truck struck the grocery carts he was pushing.
The crash occurred at 4:50 p.m. at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen police reported. Michael Rhodes, 31, Goshen, was pushing carts into the store when a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado driven by Randall D. Miller, 55, Elkhart, collided with them.
The crash caused the carts to hit Rhodes on the left side of his chest. Medics treated Rhodes at the scene.
• An employee of Lane’s gas station at 1010 W. Plymouth Ave. told Goshen police someone stole 22 gallons of gasoline, valued at $83.72, around 11:50 a.m. Sunday. The driver was in a white pickup truck pulling an off-white-colored boat.
• Robert Weiss, 309 E. Oakridge Ave., Goshen, told city police Monday someone took money from inside his silver Saturn while the automobile was parked at his home.
• Karen S. Seddon told Elkhart County police someone took her wallet out of her Oldsmobile Intrigue while it was parked at 58745 Derby Court, Goshen.
• Goshen police arrested Drewone Williams, 41, Elkhart, after an alleged attempted shoplifting at Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, around 4:30 p.m. Monday. Williams was released on a memorandum to appear in Goshen City Court.
• Maria Hernandez, 215 W. Oakridge Ave., told Goshen police jewelry was taken from her bedroom dresser Monday.
• Barbara Fuller, Goshen, told city police someone entered her vehicle Sunday and stole change while the automobile was parked at 200 S. Sixth St.
• Jerikka Hernandez, Goshen, told Goshen police someone entered her vehicle while it was parked at 224 S. Sixth St. and stole a Toshiba laptop computer. The theft occurred between 9:30 p.m. Monday and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
• Staff at CVS, 410 S. Main St., Goshen, told city police a man attempted to take a bottle of Hennessy from the store shortly before 11 a.m. Tuesday.
• Steven C. Hage of Goshen told city police someone entered his 2005 Chevrolet Malibu while it was parked 311 E. Jefferson St. Sunday.
A 20-year-old Ohio woman told Goshen police she was raped at a home in Goshen Sunday. Police are investigating the incident.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Phyllis Roc, 18934 Fourth St., New Paris, told Elkhart County police someone cut the screen to a window at her home and damaged a doorknob roughly between 8:50 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. Saturday.
• Bill Curtis of Collins & Company Inc., 17880 Commerce Drive, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone drilled a hole in the bottom of the gas tank of a company van while it was parked behind the business. The vandalism occurred between 6:30 p.m. Saturday and 5:30 a.m. Monday.
• Elkhart County police arrested Vada Osborne, 27, 2622 Wynnewood Court, Goshen, Monday on a charge of domestic battery in the presence of a child. The incident allegedly occurred around 2:50 p.m. that day at 60855 C.R. 17, Goshen.
• Two Goshen Middle School students were arrested on charges of battery/disorderly conduct after an incident at the middle school at 8:15 a.m. Tuesday. The pupils were released to their parents.