Several people were injured in recent motor vehicle crashes responded to by local police:
• A two-vehicle crash west of Shipshewana Saturday left a driver injured.
The mishap occurred at 9:17 a.m. at LaGrange County roads 250 North and 1150 West. LaGrange County police said a 1990 Dodge pickup truck driven by Daniel D. Hochstetler, 76, Shipshewana, collided with a 2000 Toyota Camry driven by Benjamin Killian III, 55, Middlebury.
Police said that as a result of the collision, the Toyota Camry spun into the yard at 11475 W. 250 North, and the pickup truck spun into the yard and garden.
Killian suffered abrasions and neck pain as a result of the collision. Police said he was cited for disregarding a stop sign.
• A two-vehicle crash west of Emma Friday left a Goshen driver injured.
The collision occurred around 10:17 a.m. on Lagrange C.R. 200 South just west of 1000 West. LaGrange County police said a 2005 Dodge Caravan driven by Edwin A. Mast, 66, Goshen, collided with a 2012 Honda Odyssey driven by Ronald E. Killion, 63, Springfield, Ill. Police said Killion was steering the vehicle in to a driveway when the crash occurred.
Mast suffered neck and left shoulder pain as a result of the collision, according to police.
• A driver was hurt in a one-vehicle crash Monday morning on C.R. 38 east if C.R. 19.
The mishap occurred around 4:40 a.m. Elkhart County police said Marcia Messner, 48, Goshen, was driving west in a 1994 GMC Safari when the vehicle went off the north side of the road and struck a tree.
Messner suffered neck pain and an abrasion to her left knee as a result of the crash and was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital. Police said she was issued a citation.
• A one-vehicle crash south of Goshen Sunday left a child injured.
The collision occurred around 6 p.m. on C.R. 146 south of Marietta Drive. Elkhart County police said Alejandro Campos, 17, New Paris, was driving west in a 2006 Toyota Corolla. According to the police report, the vehicle when off the north side of the road due to mechanical failure and struck a utility pole.
Campos was unhurt but was transported via ambulance to IU Health Goshen Hospital for observation. A passenger in the vehicle, Gideon Method, 7, Elkhart, suffered a cut on the side of his tongue and a chest abrasion from the seatbelt and was taken to the hospital.
• An Elkhart man was transported to a hospital after the vehicle he was in collided with a house.
The incident occurred around 1:39 p.m. Monday on Yukon Street, east of Elkhart. Elkhart County police said Oscar Gabriel Baez-Garcia, 37, was in a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta on the driveway at 57943 Yukon. Police said Baez-Garcia had a seizure, and Volkswagen rolled out of the driveway, east across Yukon and struck the home at 57932 Yukon.
Baez-Garcia was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for treatment following the seizure, according to police.
• Rodney Weaver, 63749 C.R. 15, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone entered his home between 12:30 and 2:45 p.m. Friday through an open patio door and stole a jar containing coins.
• Gina Leichty, 412 E. Purl St., told Goshen police Monday that someone stole 10 outdoor patio chairs at her home.
• Gary Horst, 59900 C.R. 21, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone burglarized his home between noon and 2:38 p.m. Friday. Computers, video gaming systems, cash and DVDs were taken.
• Renette Militello of Goshen told Elkhart County police someone used her banking information and made eight unauthorized transactions between Sept. 19 and Oct. 6.
• Hannah Hossler, 424 S. Fifth St., told Goshen police Tuesday that someone entered her garage and stole her property.
• Angelina Gruberman, 308 E. Clinton St., reported a burglary at her home to Goshen police Monday.
• Roberto Osoria, 1820 Westplains Drive, told Goshen police Monday that someone stole his wedding band from his home.
• Jennifer Cooper, 23242 Orchard Lane, Goshen, told Elkhart County police her home was burglarized Monday between 2 and 4 p.m. Someone broke in by forcing open a service door to the garage and took a handgun, jewelry and electronics. According to the police report, a vehicle was driven through the yard up to the service door.
• Alan Overholser, 24172 C.R. 32, Goshen, told Elkhart County police that someone burglarized his home between 8 a.m. Saturday and 11:30 a.m. Monday. Several firearms and BB guns were stolen.
• Cecil Fields told Elkhart County police that sometime between June 17 and Friday, someone used his debit card information to remove $2999 from his account at PNC bank, 101 N. Main St., Goshen.
• Belen Robledo of Goshen told Goshen police Sunday that someone stole her bicycle while it was at her friend’s home at 320 S. Main St.
• Brandon Freeland of Elkhart told Goshen police Sunday that someone stole tools from his truck while it was parked in the 100 block of North Fifth Street. The theft occurred during the overnight hours.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• It was reported to Goshen police Monday that someone damaged the Mancinos building at 905 Linway Drive with graffiti.
• Kenda Potter, 53586 C.R. 27 Lot 109, told Elkhart County police that two 14-year-olds and an 18-year-old tore the fabric and removed springs from her trampoline. Potter said they then stuck the springs in the siding of the house. The vandalism occurred between 1 and 4:50 p.m. Sunday.
• Elkhart County police arrested Spencer C. Flynn, 25, 50812 C.R. 35, Middlebury, at his home around 7:45 p.m. Friday on a warrant for Class C felony battery. Flynn was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• A 34-year-old Goshen woman told Goshen police Monday she was battered by her 15-year-old son in her home in the 300 block of North Second Street. The teen was arrested and released to his parents.
• Keitha Talley, 39, 1813 Howard Court Apt. A, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police Monday on a charge of domestic battery in the presence of a minor. She was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
Goshen police arrested a Michigan City man Monday on a charge of public nudity.
Police were called to Rogers Park, 102 Chicago Ave., around 6:18 a.m. regarding a man who appeared to be passed out. Police arrived and reportedly found Christian J. Gilworth, 25, 607 Warnke Road, Michigan City, to be very intoxicated, leaning on a picnic table and urinating with several people less than 100 feet away.
Gilworth was arrested and incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Around 11 p.m. Saturday, Elkhart County police arrested Maria Hernandez, 22, 3757 N. 900 West, Cromwell, on charges of driving while her driving privileges were suspended, reckless driving and taking part in a speed contest. The incident took place on the U.S. 20 Bypass near Ind. 19, according to the police report.
• Laura Castro, 42, 304 N. James St., Milford, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 2:10 p.m. Sunday in the 1000 block of South Main Street. Castro was arrested on a charge of being a habitual traffic violator and incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Elkhart County police said a 21-year-old Goshen man was involved in a motor vehicle crash at Ind. 13 and C.R. 146 around 3:49 p.m. Friday. Police said the man was intoxicated, and are requesting that charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and driving while never receiving a driver’s license be filed against him. The man was not arrested, and the case has been forwarded to the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office for review.
Police arrested the following motorists on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Matthew Brace, 21, 13290 N. 200 West, Milford, was arrested by Elkhart County police around 2:30 a.m. in the area of C.R.s 17 and 28 near Goshen.
• Edgar Fuentes, 20, 150 Broadmore Estates, Goshen, was arrested after a vehicle crash around 4:48 a.m. Sunday in Goshen.
The automobile was a 1999 Nissan Altima owned by Francisco Salas Palos Jr., 19, of 64721 C.R. 21, Goshen. Palos told Elkhart County police the Nissan had been stolen from his home between 10 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. Sunday.
In addition to the OWI, Fuentes was arrested on charges of driving while his driving privileges were suspended and possession of stolen property.
Several people were injured in recent motor vehicle crashes responded to by local police:
- Police News
- Sentencing hearing for robber delayed A Michigan man who pleaded guilty to a charge of attempted armed robbery using a hammer was to have been sentenced in Elkhart Circuit Court Thursday.
- Police cars hit in multi-county chase According to Middlebury police, officer Gary Smith attempted to locate a silver Saturn leaving McDonald’s on Ind. 13, near U.S. 20 in Middlebury at 11:30 p.m. Monday. Jonathan Gaby, 31, Middlebury, the driver of the Saturn was reported to be allegedly intoxicated.
- Goshen crash injures driver A two-vehicle crash Saturday afternoon at the intersection of U.S. 33 and Ind. 4 injured one driver, according to Goshen police reports. Shortly before 2:30 p.m. Saturday, a 2009 Nissan Cube driven by Emily N. Lee, 18, was northbound on U.S. 33 near
- Goshen woman guilty of stealing government property Crystal Riggs, 48, Goshen, pled guilty to felony theft of government property in federal court in South Bend. The magistrate judge is recommending that the district court accept the tendered guilty plea. Parties have 14 days in which to object to the
- Suspicious bottle found at Concord High School According to Elkhart County Sheriff’s Capt. Jim Bradberry, police responded to Concord High School, 59117 Minuteman Way, Elkhart, Wednesday at 6:51 p.m. to a suspicious bottle that was found on the south side of the high school.
- Man pleads guilty to assault with knife Andrew Adkins, 26, Goshen, pleaded guilty Wednesday to one count of battery by means of a deadly weapon, a Class C felony. According to a statement from the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office, Adkins was scheduled for trial Tuesday in Elkhart Superio
- One killed, one hurt in separate wrecks One person was killed and another badly injured in two unrelated crashes in Elkhart and Noble counties over the weekend.
- CIRCUIT COURT: Elkhart's Rushlow sentenced to 58 years for attempted murder GOSHEN — An Elkhart man was sentenced to 58 years in prison after a jury convicted him of attempted murder last month. Nicholas A. Rushlow, 32, Elkhart, was charged with felony attempted murder and felony criminal recklessness when his case went to t
Police: Warsaw man broke into funeral home for children's DVDs
A Warsaw man was arrested after police said they found him crawling out of a broken window at Mishler Funeral Home in Milford Tuesday morning.
Fiery crash reported near Topeka
LaGrange County 911 dispatchers received a call at 2:50 p.m. Thursday of a two-vehicle crash at 6765 W. 300 South near Topeka stating the vehicles were on fire.
- More Police News Headlines