THE GOSHEN NEWS
---- — A Ligonier man was sentenced to prison on a drug-related charge last week.
Gerald Sawicki, 53, had previously pleaded guilty to attempted dealing in methamphetamine by manufacuturing. In Elkhart Circuit Court Thursday, he was sentenced to six years in the Indiana Department of Corrections, plus six years on probation. He was given credit for 240 days he’d already been incarcerated.
Sawicki was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop in March in the 1800 block of Lincolnway East.
Display of a firearm reported
• Angela Lemarr, Roxbury Park, Goshen, told Goshen police a firearm was displayed at 11:45 p.m. Thursday.
Teen allegedly had knife at GMS
A 13-year-old boy at Goshen Middle School, 1216 S. Indiana Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of possessing a knife on school property at 1 p.m. Friday.
He was released to his parent on a promise to appear in juvenile court.
• Harriet Miller of Goshen told Elkhart County police her debit card number was used to make four purchases she didn’t authorize. The purchases were made Nov. 17 and 18 and totaled $82.96.
• Aaron Patel, Goshen, told Goshen police an employee allegedly stole large amounts of money from the cash register at 1000 S. Main St., Goshen, Tuesday and Wednesday. Evidence was collected and a report taken, police said.
• Beth Vanness, 1115 West Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police of a possible mail scam at 10:14 a.m. Friday.
• A Goshen landlord found counterfeit U.S. currency at 415 Noble Court, Goshen, and turned it in to Goshen police at 9 a.m. Thursday.
• Richard Cariville, 907 Nikki Lane, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole his personal property Oct. 20.
• Gordon Skinner, 316 E. Monroe St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole his wallet and contents at 8 a.m. Oct. 1.
• Maria Espinosa, 324 Stone Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole the vehicle registration from her vehicle during the overnight hours Friday.
• An employee at Kroger’s Gas Station, 209 Chicago Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police a female pumped $20 worth of gas and left without paying for their gasoline at 7:13 p.m. Friday.
• Bryan Gunn, 716 E. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a window air conditioner at 7:45 p.m. Friday.
• Nataly Ponce, 221 Tanglewood Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police someone entered her residence sometime Friday.
Suspicious person reported
• A Goshen man reported to Goshen police that after he finished shopping at a local store at 1527 Bashor Road, Goshen, he was approached by a black male at 8 p.m. Thursday. The male claimed his car was disabled and he was in need of a ride to an automotive store.
Once inside the victim’s car, the male changed his story and needed a lift to where his car had broken down, which went from a couple of blocks away to wanting a ride to Elkhart to a friend’s home. The Goshen man drove to a well lit area and let the man out.
• Goshen police were dispatched to Oaklawn, 209 Lakeview Drive, Goshen, because of a fight. A 21-year-old man reported being battered and was transported IU Health Goshen Hospital at 9:40 p.m. Friday.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• An employee of Elijah’s Fire International Church, 2616 Peddler’s Village Road, Goshen, told Goshen police of gang graffiti being spray painted on the back of their building sometime Oct. 1.
• Maribel Mares, 217 Tanglewood Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police someone broke the rear window of her SUV. Police arrived and found several other vehicles to have similar damage at 10:35 p.m. Friday.
• Rosa Lopez, 215 S. Riverside Blvd., Goshen, told Goshen police someone broke the rear window on her vehicle at 9 p.m. Friday.
• Efren Calderon, 31, 17933 C.R. 40, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of driving while intoxicated after being stopped for failing to use headlights at Fifth Street and Lincoln Avenue at 12:12 a.m. Saturday. He was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Andres Torres, 45, 824 S. 11th St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of driving while under the influence during a traffic stop at 1:28 a.m. Saturday. He was stopped in the alley to the east in the 100 block of N. Main St., Goshen, for failing to signal his turn. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• David Yoder, 69, 612 Middlebury St., Apt. B, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of driving while intoxicated at 9:16 p.m. Friday. He was stopped after traveling left of center in the area of North Eighth and Middlebury streets and taken to the Elkhart County jail.