THE GOSHEN NEWS
---- — A Goshen man was injured in a one-vehicle crash southeast of the city Thursday night.
The mishap occurred around 10:40 p.m. on C.R. 46 east of C.R. 29. Elkhart County police said Javier Fraga, 26, was driving east in a 2002 Dodge Durango when the vehicle went off the road and struck a tree.
Fraga suffered a fractured hip and ankle and was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment.
Passenger in critical condition
A passenger injured in a one-vehicle crash that killed the driver remained hospitalized in critical condition Friday.
Vincente Martinez, 23, Ligonier, suffered severe head injuries in the collision, which occurred at 5:41 p.m. Wednesday on U.S. 33 north of C.R. 50. He was airlifted to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne.
Martinez was a passenger in a 2008 Dodge four-door driven by Mario Alberto Reyes, 25, Ligonier. Elkhart County police said the southbound vehicle crossed the center line and went off the east side of U.S. 33. The Dodge went into a ditch and then overturned several times before coming to a stop in a field.
Police said Martinez was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected from the vehicle.
Reyes died as a result of his injuries.
• Thomas Zimmerman told Elkhart County police that between 2 p.m. Wednesday and 6:30 a.m. Thursday, someone forced open a stand-alone garage at 54326 C.R. 33, Middlebury, and stole tools and hunting gear.
• Norman Mast told Elkhart County police that around 5:45 p.m. Wednesday, someone stole his son’s red and white Fuji bicycle in the area of C.R. 36 west of Ind. 13. Mast said the thieves were possibly driving a tan pickup truck.
• Tasha Meeks of Goshen told Goshen police Thursday that her wallet was stolen at Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East.
• Staff at RC Trailers, 51790 C.R. 39, told Elkhart County police that between 5 p.m. Aug. 29 and noon Wednesday, someone stole parks off a trailer owned by Graham Trailers that was parked on the property.
• Jamie Dehoff, 36, 22490 C.R. 36, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after allegedly trying to shoplift at Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, around 4:30 p.m. Thursday. Dehoff was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Sheila Ann McMains, 52, 1333 Chicago Ave. Apt. 1, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at Martins Supermarket, 1527 Bashor Road, Thursday on a charge of criminal conversion. The police reports indicates the incident time at around 5 p.m. McMains was released on a memorandum to appear in Goshen City Court.
• Logan Johnson of Goshen told Goshen police Thursday that someone stole her wallet from her vehicle while the automobile was parked at 1850 Westplains Drive.
• Pamela J. Stevens told Elkhart County police Wednesday that her son’s cell phone was stolen from Concord High School.
Alcohol, drug incidents
• Elkhart County police said that around 2:25 p.m. Wednesday, a 17-year-old boy was found to be in possession of marijuana and alcoholic beverages at Northridge High School in Middlebury. The boy was released to his parents.
• Brian Crume, 34, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police Thursday at 323 N. Second St. on charges of strangulation and domestic battery.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Krista Fitch of Elkhart told Goshen police Thursday that someone damaged her vehicle while it was parked at 1801 Eisenhower Drive North.
• Fairfield High School Principal Amy Bertram told Elkhart County police that a harassing message to a student was found written in graffiti within the school around 12:45 p.m. Wednesday.
Possible attempted abduction reported
At around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, LaGrange County police went to the Howe Town Park following a report of a possible attempted abduction.
Police said an 11-year-old girl reported that a white man in a blue PT Cruiser-type vehicle approached her in the park. The girl said the man didn’t show any kind of aggression. Still, she was startled by the incident.
The man was described as being in his 40s, with brown hair, no facial hair and no scars, marks or tattoos.
Local residents and business operators are being asked to report any suspicious activity to the LaGrange County Sheriff’s Department at 260-463-7491.