Teen seriously injured
A Goshen teenager was seriously injured Saturday afternoon when a tree branch fell on him.
Goshen police reported that Juan Rios, 14, 207 S. Ninth St., was helping pick up branches and trimmings in his backyard around 2:30 p.m. Saturday. A branch that had been cut fell and hit him on the head.
Police said Rios sustained a severe head injury and medics were called to the home. Rios was later transferred to Memorial Hospital of South Bend, where he was listed in serious condition Sunday.
Driver hurt in crash
A two-vehicle crash injured a Millersburg woman a mile south of Goshen Friday.
The collision occurred at 3:11 p.m. at C.R.s 31 and 40. Elkhart County police said a northbound 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 driven by Bryce Gingerich, 16, Millersburg, collided with an eastbound 1999 Lincoln Towncar driven by Theresa Scheffers, 43, Millersburg.
Scheffers suffered back pain as a result of the crash and was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital. Police said Gingerich was cited for failure to yield the right of way and for having expired vehicle registration.
Fire in bathroom
Goshen police and firefighters were called to Rogers Park around 7:24 p.m. Saturday after smoke was seen coming from a public bathroom. Firefighters extinguished a small fire found inside the bathroom.
• Sarah Davidson of Goshen told Goshen police someone entered her unlocked vehicle Friday and ransacked the interior. She said nothing appeared to be taken. The vehicle was parked at 926 N. Main St. when the incident occurred.
• Ella S. Hunt, 18, 22775 Falcon Court, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Saturday after allegedly tried to shoplift two bottles of alcoholic beverages. She was released at the scene with a court date.
• James J. Dillon, 36, 1823 Bashor Road, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 12:42 a.m. Sunday in the area of Chicago and Denver avenues. He was incarcerated on a charge of driving while being a habitual traffic, and on two arrest warrants.
The following motorists were arrested by Goshen police on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Ricardo Martinez-Torres, 19, 801 Fremont St., Elkhart, was arrested after a traffic stop shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday in the area of Elkhart Road and Riverside Boulevard. Police said he was stopped after driving at a high rate of speed alongside another vehicle, and for driving left of center. In addition to the OWI, Martinez-Torres was arrested on charges of driving while never receiving a driver’s license, competing in a speed contest, and illegal consumption of an alcoholic beverage by a minor.
• Jorge Diaz, 44, 322 Fairview Drive, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 2 a.m. Sunday. Police said Diaz was stopped for driving over the fog line on the right side of the road and disregarding a stop sign.
Teen seriously injured
- Police News
- Several burglaries reported in Goshen Several thefts and burglaries were recently reported in Goshen, according to city police:
- Westview teen remains critical after wreck A Westview High School student remained in critical condition Friday afternoon following a two-vehicle crash Thursday in LaGrange County.
UPDATE: Westview student in critical condition after crash
A Westview High School student remained in critical condition Friday afternoon following a two-vehicle crash Thursday in LaGrange County.
Jaid Rex, 16, was listed in critical at Parkview Regional Medical Center in Fort Wayne. Her sister, Mikayla Rex, 18, was listed in fair condition Friday.
- Goshen resident reports burglary Goshen police reported recent theft and burglary incidents:
- Five arrested in Kosciusko drug bust Five people from Kosciusko County, including a 72-year-old man, have been arrested on felony drug charges.
- Middlebury meth lab busted Monday Police raided a suspected methamphetamine lab in Middlebury Monday.
Meth lab found in Middlebury
Police raided a suspected methamphetamine lab in Middlebury Monday.
Middlebury police went to a residence in Crystal Valley Mobile Home Park, 206 York Drive, around 12:30 p.m. regarding a possible lab, according to town Police Chief Mike McCloughen.
Man pleads guilty in Twin Pines home invasion
One of the men charged in connection with a November home invasion in Goshen has pleaded guilty to the crime.
Antoine A. McDuffie, 21, Elkhart, pleaded guilty in Elkhart Circuit Court Monday to Class B felony charges of armed robbery, burglary, criminal confinement and conspiracy to commit burglary.
- Goshen man held on drug-making charge David McNeal, 45, of 16 Roxbury Park, was arrested on a charge of manufacturing methamphetamine following a traffic stop near the intersection of Elkhart and Reliance roads in Goshen Saturday at 9:23 a.m. Police reported he was in possession of ingre
- One jailed after Ind. 15 wreck A Ligonier man was arrested after a one-vehicle crash just south of Goshen Wednesday night.
- More Police News Headlines