Teen seriously injured
A Goshen teenager was seriously injured Saturday afternoon when a tree branch fell on him.
Goshen police reported that Juan Rios, 14, 207 S. Ninth St., was helping pick up branches and trimmings in his backyard around 2:30 p.m. Saturday. A branch that had been cut fell and hit him on the head.
Police said Rios sustained a severe head injury and medics were called to the home. Rios was later transferred to Memorial Hospital of South Bend, where he was listed in serious condition Sunday.
Driver hurt in crash
A two-vehicle crash injured a Millersburg woman a mile south of Goshen Friday.
The collision occurred at 3:11 p.m. at C.R.s 31 and 40. Elkhart County police said a northbound 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 driven by Bryce Gingerich, 16, Millersburg, collided with an eastbound 1999 Lincoln Towncar driven by Theresa Scheffers, 43, Millersburg.
Scheffers suffered back pain as a result of the crash and was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital. Police said Gingerich was cited for failure to yield the right of way and for having expired vehicle registration.
Fire in bathroom
Goshen police and firefighters were called to Rogers Park around 7:24 p.m. Saturday after smoke was seen coming from a public bathroom. Firefighters extinguished a small fire found inside the bathroom.
• Sarah Davidson of Goshen told Goshen police someone entered her unlocked vehicle Friday and ransacked the interior. She said nothing appeared to be taken. The vehicle was parked at 926 N. Main St. when the incident occurred.
• Ella S. Hunt, 18, 22775 Falcon Court, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Saturday after allegedly tried to shoplift two bottles of alcoholic beverages. She was released at the scene with a court date.
• James J. Dillon, 36, 1823 Bashor Road, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 12:42 a.m. Sunday in the area of Chicago and Denver avenues. He was incarcerated on a charge of driving while being a habitual traffic, and on two arrest warrants.
The following motorists were arrested by Goshen police on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Ricardo Martinez-Torres, 19, 801 Fremont St., Elkhart, was arrested after a traffic stop shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday in the area of Elkhart Road and Riverside Boulevard. Police said he was stopped after driving at a high rate of speed alongside another vehicle, and for driving left of center. In addition to the OWI, Martinez-Torres was arrested on charges of driving while never receiving a driver’s license, competing in a speed contest, and illegal consumption of an alcoholic beverage by a minor.
• Jorge Diaz, 44, 322 Fairview Drive, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 2 a.m. Sunday. Police said Diaz was stopped for driving over the fog line on the right side of the road and disregarding a stop sign.
Teen seriously injured
- Police News
- Police News for Dec. 12, 2013 A Syracuse man was arrested Wednesday after allegedly sending threatening letters to himself and others and misleading police. Jason Wilson, 40, 603 E. Pickwick Drive, was incarcerated in the Kosciusko County Jail on two Class D felony counts of inti
- Man pleads guilty to Elkhart store slayings An Elkhart man pleaded guilty to counts of murder Monday shortly before his trial was scheduled to begin.
Two hurt when vehicle collides with Goshen dental office
Two people were hurt when a vehicle crashed into Goshen Family Dentistry, 1625 Sunnyfield Drive, around 1:30 p.m. Monday.
Police raid party east of Goshen
Elkhart County police raided an underage drinking party shortly before 5 a.m. Sunday at 12061 C.R. 36 east of Goshen.
Poaching probe leads to arrests
LaGrange County police arrested two men following a traffic stop Saturday night in LaGrange County.
Two men arrested at park on indecency charges
Two men were arrested on charges of public indecency at an Elkhart County park and a third man is under investigation.
- Dog stolen from humane society Someone stole a dog from the Humane Society of Elkhart County, 54687 C.R. 19, Bristol this week.
- ASK THE SHERIFF: Can an officer stop a person for openly carrying a firearm? DEAR SHERIFF: Do officers have a right to stop/detain me merely because I openly carry a firearm? Can they ask me to display my handgun carry license? Do I need to carry my handgun license with me when I carry? ANSWER: In a prior column I addressed t
- Several thefts reported to police • Jesus Hernandez, 18, 213 Tanglewood Drive, told Goshen police someone tried to steal his mo-ped at his home Tuesday. The incident occurred around 5:30 p.m.
- POLICE NEWS: Millersburg convenience store clerk robbed at gunpoint A Millersburg clerk was robbed at gunpoint Monday night, police reported. Millersburg Town Marshal Keith Hathaway said the robbery occurred at 7:45 p.m. at Simars Convenience Store, 206 N. Benton St. (Ind. 13). Two white males entered the store and r
- More Police News Headlines