THE GOSHEN NEWS
A Howe man is dead after police said the disabled vehicle he was attempting to repair fell on him.
LaGrange County police were dispatched to a crash on C.R. 100 East, south of C.R. 700 North in LaGrange County at 3:30 a.m. Saturday. Police said a passenger car was sitting alongside the roadway. A male, Gilberto Barajas, 21, Howe, was located trapped underneath the vehicle and unresponsive. Police said it appears he was working on his disabled vehicle when the car fell on him and killed him.
One hurt in wreck
• A driver was injured during a two-vehicle crash at C.R. 20 and C.R. 35 in Middlebury Sunday. The collision occurred at 6:12 p.m. Elkhart County police said a 2009 Chrysler 300 driven by Eldon Hostetler, 91, Middlebury, pulled out in front of a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am driven by Bethany Miller, 22, Middlebury. She was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for treatment of facial injuries. Hostetler was ticketed for failure to yield right of way.
• Elkhart County police received a call that two pit bulls were running loose near 431 RE. Washington St., Millersburg, at 12:15 a.m. Monday. One pit bull was aggressive and charged an office and was pepper sprayed. One pit bull was captured and taken to the Humane Society and the second one was not captured.
• Goshen police were dispatched to 121 Brookside Manor, Goshen, to investigate animal cruelty and after contact with the owners, all the animals were impounded from the residence to the Humane Society at 3:10 p.m. Tuesday. Police said there is an ongoing investigation for animal cruelty and neglect. The owner was cited for harboring a non-immunized animal.
• Calvin W. Miller, 2110 S. 375 West, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole a Honda generator, pressure washer and acetylene torch from his residence at 7:56 a.m. Thursday.
• Kim A Jacquay, 68304 C.R. 23, New Paris, told Elkhart County police someone stole his green minivan along the road and returned it sometime between midnight and 10 a.m. Friday.
• Elkhart County police received a report from the South Bend Police Department about a possible theft of electronic equipment from a business at 51040 Greenfield Parkway, Middlebury, around 2:15 a.m. Sunday. Elkhart County police are investigating the incident further.
• Rose Watson, 63700 C.R. 31, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone entered a barn located on her property at 3:35 p.m. Sunday.
• Norma Howard, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole her daughter’s cell phone while at the Moose Camp Grounds between 3 and 8 p.m. Saturday.
• Frank Medina, 1106 Colorado St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone was possibly inside the residence at 11:27 p.m. Sunday. Police searched and found no one inside.
• Elkhart County police located and apprehended three people who had broken into a business, Global Composites, 58190 C.R. 3, Elkhart, at 10:19 p.m. Sunday. David Haney, 26, Elkhart; Joseph Ramsey, 34, Elkhart; and Matthew Easton, 33, Elkhart, were arrested on a charge of theft for breaking into vending machines. They were incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• An employee at the Dew Drop Inn, 227 S. Main St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole an undisclosed amount of cash and cigarettes sometime Sunday.
• Employees of Cequent Towing, 2602 College Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole about $300 worth of steel around 2 p.m. Friday.
• Karen Wollman, 716 S. Third St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a Schwinn single speed bike from her front porch between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. Monday.
• James L. Wellington Jr, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole money from his retirement account sometime March 25.
• James Wolf, 1726 Windsor Lane, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole his bicycle at 12:12 p.m. Monday.
• Teresa and Kelvin Williams, 1725 Roc Lane, Goshen, told Goshen police someone burglarized their residence around 8 a.m. May 12.
• Sierra Lee, 2932 Elkhart Road Apt. 408, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole her Apple iPhone 4 from her residence around midnight June 30.
• Brian Kline, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone stole his 2012 blue Yamaha Zuma and bank debit card between 7 p.m. Monday and 3:27 a.m. Tuesday.
• Alexa Gonzalez, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a mo-ped at Goshen High School, 401 Lincolnway East, Goshen at 8 a.m. Tuesday.
• Derek C. Jacobs, Ligonier, reported a theft at 1305 S. Fourteenth St., Goshen, at 12:01 a.m. May 28 to Goshen police.
• Alicia Hunsberger, 20, 905 E. Walnut St., Nappanee, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Walmart, 4024 Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 4 p.m. Tuesday. She was transported to the Elkhart County Jail. A juvenile was released to a parent after a juvenile social history form was signed during the same incident, police said.
• Dennis Ewing, 1013 S. Ninth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole his 2011 Kymco mo-ped from his residence during the overnight hours Tuesday. The mo-ped was later recovered near Cottage and Jackson streets and Ewing took possession of the mo-ped.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Timothy Weaver, Shipshewana, told Goshen police that while walking his dog behind his business in the 17000 block of C.R. 38, Goshen, he located a large hole in a fence belonging to an adjacent business at 8:27 a.m. Sunday.
• Sandy Rowe, 433 N. First St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone broke the rear window of her vehicle sometime April 3.
• Sylvia Campos, 410 E. Jefferson St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone vandalized her 1996 Mercury Sable while parked at her residence at 6 a.m. Tuesday.
• Amber Musenge, Elkhart, told Goshen police her vehicle was damaged while parked at IU Goshen Health Hospital parking lot, 200 W. High Park Ave., Goshen, at 10 p.m. Monday.
• Teodoro Santillan, Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged five window screens and a window well cover at the Praise Chapel, 623 N. Third St., Goshen, at 10 p.m. Sunday.
• Rayann Heingartner, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone fraudulently used her debit card to make purchases at a Giant Food Store in Landsdowne, Pa., for a total of $500 at 1:53 p.m. Friday.
• Jonathan Anglemyer, 25, 519 New York St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of strangulation and domestic battery at 3:07 a.m. Wednesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• Johnny Barnes, 50, 1102 S. Sixteenth St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while his license status was a habitual traffic violator with a lifetime suspension during a traffic stop in the 500 block of E. Jackson St., Goshen, at 5:26 p.m. Monday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.