Syracuse firefighters were dispatched to a house fire at 605 E. Northshore Drive at 2:03 p.m. Saturday, according to a news release from Capt. Brian Richcreek.
Upon arrival, firefighters found a fire in the basement. Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control with most of the damage confined to that area. The home sustained heat and smoke damage on the first floor.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. Syracuse firefighters received mutual aid for manpower from Benton Township Fire Department.
Man arrested on warrants, resisting arrest charge
Travis Jackson, 33, 52012 C.R. 11, Elkhart, was arrested at 52680 C.R. 11 on two Elkhart County warrants, a Goshen city warrant and a charge of resisting law enforcement around 3:40 p.m. Saturday, according to Elkhart County police.
• A Norfolk Southern employee told Goshen police a train window was damaged by what he thought was a gunshot near Lincoln Avenue and Ninth Street around 5:42 p.m. Monday.
• A staffer at Eby Ford, 2714 Elkhart Road, Goshen, told city police someone damaged a truck Monday.
The following people were arrested on charges of domestic battery in the presence of a child:
• Jeremiah Chapman, 31, 60390 Fenmore Ave., Goshen, was arrested at 60364 Fenmore Ave. around 8:02 p.m. Saturday, according to the Elkhart County police.
• Victor Sandoval, 21, 290 Roxbury Park, Goshen, was arrested around 5:14 p.m. Sunday, according to Goshen police.
• Gloriabelle Johnson, Goshen, reported that her green purse was stolen from Maple Leaf Commons, 2906 Elkhart Road, Friday, according to Goshen police.
• Goshen police were called to Memories of China, 610 W. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, Sunday in reference to a theft from the business.
• Florence Howard, Goshen, said her Dodge Neon was stolen from her property at 60397 Fenmore Ave. sometime between 6 and 8 p.m. Saturday, according to Elkhart County police. The vehicle was later located in Goshen after it was involved in a hit-and-run collision on Elkhart Road.
• Kenneth Mullins, 1804 Westplains Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole medications from him Monday.
• Stanley King, 1448 Hampton Circle, Goshen, reported to Goshen police someone entered his residence and stole $150 Monday.
• Marty Clawson, 818 S. 12th St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone entered his residence and removed items Monday.
• Randy Miller, 601 S. Seventh St., Goshen, called city police to the Goshen Public Library, 601 S. Fifth St., in reference to a theft of his bicycle at approximately 5:30 p.m. Monday.
• Joshua Miller, 521 S. Third St., Goshen, reported the unauthorized use of his debit card to Goshen police Monday.