THE GOSHEN NEWS
An elderly Warsaw man’s body was recovered from Little Chapman Lake in Kosciusko County late Wednesday morning, according to Indiana Conservation Officers.
A preliminary investigation was conducted by Indiana Department of Natural Resources conservation officers.
A published report stated Officer Jon Boyd, public information officer for the DNR, said a side-scan sonar was used to scan the lake.
Edward Hundley, 70, of Warsaw, was recovered from Little Chapman Lake after being reported missing around 3:50 p.m. Tuesday. Witnesses stated that the male was swimming from a pontoon boat when he went underwater. A search and recovery operations was suspended Tuesday evening due to severe weather.
Officer Boyd was also reported as saying that they are not calling Hundley’s death a drowning as other factors, such as health, may have contributed to the cause of death.
Kosciusko County’s Dive Team helped Indiana Conservation officers Wednesday. Indiana Conservation Officers would like to remind everyone to wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket when in or around the water this summer.
Goat cruelty investigated
LaGrange County police are investigating an animal cruelty case regarding a goat that appeared to have been shot on the property at 10560 West CR 560N in Shipshewana. Ronald Eutsey, owner of the goat, found it near his back door of his residence with what appeared to be a small caliber bullet wound to the neck of the animal at 8:47 p.m. Tuesday.
Theft/burglary reports and arrests
• Monica Cannard, 702 S. Eighth St. Apt. B, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole property from her apartment while she was at work at 1:30 p.m. Monday.
• Angela Ashby, 202 Second St. Apt #2, Wolcottville, told LaGrange County police someone stole her laptop computer and computer bag at 11:46 a.m. Sunday.
• Alan J. Reynolds, 73 Roxbury Park, Goshen, told Goshen police of a theft at 12:34 p.m. June 4.
• Tracy Fleenor, 212 Blackport Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a prescription drug from a vehicle at 8 a.m. June 19.
• Quality Claims Management Corporation, PO Box 87611, San Diego, Calif., told Goshen police the theft of several household items from 618 Connie Court, Goshen at 3:35 p.m. Tuesday. The total value amount was $1,650.
• Margaret Vukovich, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole several items from her son, Matthew Vukovich, Goshen, who is currently incarcerated in prison. She went to retrieve his belongings from his residence and they were missing sometime May 21.
• Tracy L. Ferguson, 45, Warsaw, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 6:28 p.m. Tuesday. He was released on a memorandum to appear in the Goshen City Court.
• An employee of the 7 Eleven Store, 54543 C.R. 17, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone stole an undetermined amount of cash from the store Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
• John Slabach, 60450 Ind. 33, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone stole two handguns from the shop at his residence between 7 p.m. Saturday and 7:15 a.m. Tuesday.
• Danielle Lee, 4780 W. 700 North, Howe, told LaGrange County police someone stole her car and house keys, cell phone, Galaxy tablet, X-Box controllers, games and a wallet from her locked van sometime Tuesday.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Joe Zehr, 63144 C.R. 33, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone lit his mailbox on fire in front of his residence at 11:59 p.m. Friday.
• Cheryn Weaver, 610 S. Fifth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone put peanut butter and chocolate syrup on her vehicle sometime during the night Saturday.
• Bounsou Oudomsak, Goshen, told Goshen police someone struck his vehicle with eggs in the 1400 block of Twin Flower Drive, Goshen, at 10 p.m. Saturday. Police contacted four other victims whose vehicles were struck by eggs in the Clover Trails subdivision. None of the vehicles were damaged by the eggs.
• Lauren King, Goshen, told Goshen police someone threw eggs at her vehicle while parked in the 1800 block of Kentfield Way, Goshen at 8:42 a.m. Monday.
• Robert Fowler, Goshen, told Goshen police someone spray painted graffiti on detached garages at 407 1/2 Cross Street, 210 Crescent Street and 208 Crescent Street in Goshen sometime May 15.
• Don Fanning, 5400 E. 750 North, Howe, told LaGrange County police someone drove a vehicle through his field across the road from Pretty Prairie Farm’s office at 9:33 a.m. Sunday. The vehicle drove over growing seed corn and wheat nearing harvest. The vehicle caused some ruts after entering the field of C.R. 750 North and left the field on C.R. 475 East.
•Troy Rumfelt and Carl Porter, both of Goshen, told Goshen police someone spray painted the sides of their businesses in the 200 block of S. Main Street at approximately 5 p.m. Friday.
• Tina Howard, 1506 West Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone vandalized her house with gang graffiti at midnight Tuesday.
• Donna Peebles, 1602 Glenwood Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police someone spray painted gang graffiti on her house in two separate locations sometime Monday.
• Kim Ross, 1114 Berkey Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone spray painted his residence and property with graffiti and profanity at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.
• Kari Colley, 53586 C.R. 27 Lot 120B, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone broke the back window of her vehicle at 9:30 a.m. Monday.
• Brianna Reschly, Goshen, told Goshen police someone battered her while walking in an alley in the downtown area in the 200 block of N. Main Street by an unknown male at 4:59 p.m. Tuesday. She was treated for minor abrasions at the hospital.
• Pamela Lung, 3760 E-300S., LaGrange, told LaGrange County police she was battered by her grandson Cody A. Troyer, 18, at her residence at 8:41 p.m. Tuesday. The incident was investigated and paperwork forward to the prosecutor’s office for review of charges for batter in the presence of a child. Police said the incident remains under investigation.
• A detective from Bedford Police Department, Bedford, Texas, told Elkhart County police Friday a victim in Texas located a person in Elkhart County that was using his identity to obtain employment. The investigation is ongoing.
• An employee from O’Reilly Auto Parts Store, 1613 Elkhart Road, Goshen, told Goshen police someone passed a counterfeit bill in their store at 6:02 p.m. Sunday.
• Matthew Huber, Goshen, told Goshen police someone made fraudulently withdrawals from his bank account at midnight Monday.
Drug/alcohol reports and arrests
• Logan Canaday, 18, 15679 C.R. 40, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of possession of a controlled substance, consuming an alcoholic beverage, and possession of an alcoholic beverage, after leaving the scene of a single-vehicle property damage crash on C.R. 33, north of C.R. 38 in Goshen at 5:06 a.m. Sunday. He was incarcerated at the - County jail.