THE GOSHEN NEWS
— Two injured in crash
Two local residents were injured in a two-vehicle crash Monday morning.
Marq Eldridge, 19, Syracuse, was traveling northbound on U.S. 33, north of Current Road, when his 1993 Mazda MX6 crossed into incoming traffic, hitting a 2004 Chevrolet Aveo driven by Anita Gilbert, 46, Millersburg, according to a Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department news release.
Eldridge was treated at the scene for minor injuries, and Gilbert was transported to IU Health Goshen for complaints of pain.
It is unknown what made Eldridge’s vehicle cross the center line, according to the release. Enforcement action will happen pending further investigation.
Several hurt in
Several people were injured in recent traffic crashes investigated by Goshen police:
• A two-vehicle crash left four people injured Saturday on U.S. 33 east of Midway Road.
The collision occurred at 2:24 p.m. According to a police report, a 1998 Dodge Neon driven by Maranda L. Walter, 27, Elkhart, pulled in front of a 1999 Jeep Cherokee driven by Paula J. Ternet, 63, Elkhart. The vehicles collided.
Walter suffered a chest bruise as a result of the crash, and Ternet suffered head pain. Two passengers in Walter’s vehicle were also hurt. Cloee McNiel, 7, Elkhart, and Aubrey Martin, 5, Elkhart, both suffered arm pain, according to police.
• Four people were injured in a two-vehicle crash at 15th Street and Plymouth Avenue Thursday.
The crash occurred shortly after 3:30 p.m. Police reported that a 2006 Buick LaCrosse driven by Rebecca L. Pegan, 30, Goshen, collided with a 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier driven by Richard L. Winrott, 44, Goshen.
Pegan and a passenger in her vehicle, Shelby Hogle, 10, Goshen, suffered arm pain as a result of the crash. Two passengers in the Winrott vehicle were also injured. Blaine Holmes, 22, Goshen, suffered back pain and Casey Noel, 24, Goshen, had an abrasion, police reported.
• A Goshen man was hurt when his bicycle was struck by a sport utility vehicle Friday.
Goshen police reported that the crash occurred at 8:50 p.m. on U.S. 33 south of Clinton Street. Michael Eby, 49, told Goshen police a westbound, gold-colored SUV exiting an alley struck the rear wheel of his bike. The occupants reportedly stopped, asked Eby if he was OK and then left.
Eby suffered right ankle and shin pain.
• A Shipshewana woman was injured in a two-vehicle crash at the intersection of C.R. 6 and C.R. 17 Wednesday. The crash occured shortly after 5:30 a.m. Police reported that a 2002 Jeep Cherokee driven by Jed Eisenhour, 41, Goshen, collided with a 1996 Toyota Camry driven by Dottie Sherck, 47, Shipshewana. Sherck was transported to Elkhart Hospital for treatment of leg and neck pain. Eisenhour was cited for failure to yield the right of way at an intersection.
A female Goshen resident reported that shortly before 10:30 a.m. Sunday she was approached by an unknown man in the Kroger parking lot at 209 Chicago Ave. The man offered to pay for sex, according to a Goshen police report. The woman was able to provide a description of the suspect and vehicle to the police.
• Marlena Simmons, Goshen, reported her son’s green and black Huffy bicycle stolen sometime in the last couple of days.
• Nicholas Thrasher, Goshen, reported his license plate stolen around 8:30 p.m. Sunday, according to Goshen police.
• Lauren Hudson, Mishawaka, reported someone stole money from her purse while at work at Steak–N–Shake at 4025 Elkhart Road between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., according to Goshen police.
• Dennis Williams reported to Elkhart County police that someone has been breaking into his property at 56801 Best Ave., Elkhart, several time over the past two months and stealing several items each time. They were getting into the property via an unsecured window.
• Charles Schueneman and Kayli Summers, Goshen, reported that someone stole items out of their unlocked vehicles located at 18448 Montgomery Lane, Goshen, sometime between 10 p.m. Thursday and 6 a.m. Friday, according to the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department.
• Pamela Michael, Elkhart, reported that sometime Friday someone made three unauthorized purchases on her debit card for $290.24, according to the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department. The purchases were made in the United Kingdom.
• Employees from Wal-Mart located on old U.S. 20 reported that Charles Bayless, 19, 1162 Edwardsburg Ave., Elkhart, and a 14-year-old male entered the store and left with a bicycle that they didn’t pay for, according to Elkhart County police. Bayless was arrested on charges of theft and the 14-year-old was released to his mother.
• Brian Goodwin, Goshen, reported that a handgun was stolen from his vehicle around 11:03 p.m. Saturday at 58071 C.R. 23, Goshen.
• Jacqueline Daniels, Goshen, reported several items stolen from her SUV while parked outside of 3020 Regent Square Court last week, according to Goshen police.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Jerry Rhodes, Goshen, reported that someone egged his 1992 Ford Mustang sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning, according to Goshen police. The vehicle was parked in front of 116 Roxbury Parkway at the time.
• Ronald Davidhizar, Goshen, reported a window broken out of his vehicle around 10:40 a.m., according to Goshen police.
• Vicki Jarrett, Goshen, reported that someone broke the driver’s side window to her Ford Contour while parked in the alleyway in the 500 block of South Sixth Street around 4 p.m. Sunday, according to Goshen police.
• Marlin Bontrager reported that someone dented his vehicle sometime between 5:30 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Friday, according to Elkhart County police. The vehicle was in a vacant lot southeast of his home located at 702 South Hawthorne Street, Bristol.
• Karina Koak, 57930 Eldorado Drive, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone damaged two stone lions located at the end of her driveway between midnight Aug. 6 and midnight Aug. 7.
• Elkhart County police reported that an inmate at the Elkhart County Jail, 26861 C.R. 26, Elkhart, cracked a cell door window using part of a hospital bed at approximatly 11 a.m. Tuesday.
• Dave Herendeen, Goshen, reported to Goshen police that someone shot the siding on his garage with BBs or other pellets. This damage was reported around 4:18 p.m. Monday.
• Ronald Davidhizer, 70, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a lawnmower and weed trimmer from his vehicle while parked at 205 Middlebury, Goshen, between 10 and 10:45 a.m. Tuesday.
• Sharron Fertitta, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole her coin purse from the Dollar General store, 207 Chicago Ave., Goshen, between 6:30 and 6:50 p.m. Tuesday.
• Ronald Dulaney, engineering director for Bashor Childrens Home, 62226 C.R. 15, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone stole multiple scrap metal items from the property between 8 a.m. Aug. 2 and 8 a.m. Aug. 7.
• Dennis Smeltzer, 54090 Eastview Drive, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone broke into his home at approximatly 6:30 a.m. Monday and removed several pieces of costume jewelry.
• Terry Stutzman, 21305 Echo Lane, Bristol, reported to Elkhart County police that someone had broken out several windows at his residence between 12:30 and 8:30 a.m. Monday, though no items were stolen from the home.
• Kyle J. Delaney, 19, 12739 C.R. 39, Middlebury, was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana and operating while intoxicated, both Class A misdemeanors, around 12:21 a.m. Saturday at C.R. 20 and Benham Ave., according to Elkhart County police. He was incarcerated.
• Jessica Geyer, 24, 52636 C.R. 11, Elkhart, was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana, possession of paraphernalia and a local warrant around 10:08 a.m. Saturday at her home, according to the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department.
• A 16-year-old female was arrested in juvenile detention on two felony charges of dealing in a controlled substance and dealing in prescription drugs, as well as two misdemeanor charges of dealing marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department. She was passenger in a vehicle that was stopped on C.R. 13 and John Street around 5:13 p.m. Saturday for a seatbelt violation with the 18-year-old male driver. He was found to be in possession of a small amount of synthetic marijuana.
• Five adults were cited for underage drinking when the Elkhart County Sheriff Department’s alcohol reduction team responded to a loud noise call at 64380 C.R. 43, Goshen, around 1 a.m. Sunday, according the Elkhart County police. Additionally, nine juveniles were referred to the juvenile court system for illegal consumption of an alcoholic beverage, and they were released to their parents. One juvenile and one adult were also charged with resisting law enforcement.
• A 17-year-old Elkhart male was stopped on C.R. 16 west of Valerie Lane around 11:15 p.m. Sunday, where he was found in possession of marijuana and out past curfew, according to the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department.
• Miguel A. Ortiz Vega, 21, 410 E. Jefferson St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 5:55 p.m. Tuesday in the 200 south block of Fifth Street on charges of possession of marijuana, possession of paraphernalia and operating a vehicle while never having received a license. He was booked into the county jail.
• Brooke A. Ullery, 24, 3031 Mishawaka Ave., South Bend, was arrested on charges of operating while intoxicated around 1:50 a.m. Saturday on Jefferson Blvd., west of Ash Road, according to Elkhart County police.
• Gabriel Varney, 28, 72833 C.R. 29, Lot 25, Syracuse, was arrested on charges of operating while intoxicated around 2:03 a.m. Saturday on Ind. 15 north of C.R. 46, according to Elkhart County police.
• Mitchell Lemert, 19, was arrested on charges of operating while intoxicated and illegal consumption of alcoholic beverages after he was involved in a two-vehicle crash on C.R. 26 west of C.R. 22 around 5:53 a.m. Sunday, according to Elkhart County police. Lemert was driving a Ford pickup westbound on C.R. 26 when he went left of center and crashed into a parked and unoccupied Cadilliac four-door vehicle.
• Demecio Hernandez Villarreal, 48, 1816 Minnie St., Elkhart, was arrested on charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated prior, driving while suspended prior and a warrant while stopped for a traffic violation at the intersection of U.S. 33 and C.R. 15 around 8:52 p.m. Sunday, according to the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department.
• Paige Ann Borsa, 24, 812 Sherman Ave., Cassopolis, Mich., was arrested on charges of operating while intoxicated during a traffic stop for an equipment violation at Ind. 19 at Cottage Ave. around 2:54 a.m. Monday, according to the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department.
• Brian Dale Ballge, 31, 23316 North Shore Drive, Edwardsburg, Mich., was arrested on charges of operating while intoxicated, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department. He was stopped on Ind. 19 south of C.R. 4 around 2:46 a.m. Monday. He also had a valid Elkhart County Sheriff’s warrant.
Goshen woman arrested on battery charge
• Sylvia Skiles, 32, 18243 Scarborough Lane, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police at 9:10 p.m. Tuesday at her residence on a charge of domestic battery in the presence of a child. She was booked into the county jail.
• Juan F. Collazo-Ledezma, 22, 392 Roxbury Park, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 9:04 a.m. Tuesday in the 2200 block of Bashor Road on a charge of driving a vehicle without a driver’s license. He was booked into the county jail.