Gun at school investigated
Elkhart County police are investigating the validity of a report of a Northridge High School student showing another student a gun on school property Friday.
School superintendent Jane Allen said she was called about the incident over the weekend and contacted the school’s resource officer. On Tuesday police were on hand at the school to make sure the student suspected in the incident did not go to the school.
Allen said the student had been enrolled at Northridge for just a short time.
“From our standpoint, number one is our kids’s safety. We will do whatever we can to protect our students,” Allen said. “We will make sure that student doesn’t attend our school the rest of the year.”
Allen said because of the police investigation and rules governing student confidentially she could not say much more about the incident. She could not also say what type of gun the student allegedly had.
Lt. Travis Adamson with the sheriff’s department said Tuesday the department’s officers are continuing their investigation into the incident.
Man critical after
jumping out of pickup
A Warsaw man was airlifted to South Bend Memorial Hospital in critical condition Friday morning after jumping from a moving vehicle south of Nappanee. He was still in serious condition Tuesday, according to the house supervisor at South Bend Memorial Hospital.
According to Kosciusko County police, officers and emergency personnel responded to a 911 report of a man being injured when he jumped from a vehicle at 5:41 a.m. in the area of C.R. 800 West, just south of C.R. 850 North.
Police said Jerry Lee Charles Belcher, 21, Warsaw, was unconscious and suffering from extensive head injuries. Belcher was flown from the scene to the South Bend hospital.
Police reported Belcher had been a passenger in a Dodge Ram quad cab pickup truck driven by his father, Johnny L. Belcher, 41, Warsaw. As they were traveling to work, the men reportedly were in a verbal argument that became steadily worse. While traveling northbound on C.R. 800 West, Jerry Belcher suddenly opened the front passenger side door of the pickup truck and jumped from the vehicle, police said. His father stopped and went back to locate his son, who was found at the side of the road. Police said a third person in the pickup confirmed the scenario of events. The incident remains under investigation.
• A Nappanee infant was injured in a two-vehicle collision at 4:04 p.m. Saturday near Nappanee.
According to Elkhart County police, Christial Woods, 20, Nappanee, was driving southbound on C.R. 3 and reportedly ran the southbound stop sign at the intersection of C.R. 46, crossing into the path of a second vehicle heading eastbound on C.R. 46.
The resulting crash injured a 1-year-old male passenger in Woods’ vehicle, identified as Jonathan Woods. The infant reportedly suffered abrasions to his face and the inside of his mouth. The driver of the second vehicle, Jacqueline Macias, 26, Plymouth, was not injured, according to police.
Christial was ticketed for disregarding a stop sign.
The following motorist was recently arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Chase Miller, 22, 60489 C.R. 113, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 5:43 p.m. Sunday at C.R. 45 and Missouri Avenue.
• Goshen police arrested Charles F. Whisenant, 24, 1809 Tony Lane, Goshen, Sunday night at Martin’s Supermarket, 1527 Bashor Road. Whisenant allegedly tried to leave the store without paying for a bottle of Crown Royal. He was released on a memorandum to appear in Goshen City Court.
• Brenda Terry, 206 S. Ninth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone forced entry into her residence at 4:30 a.m. Friday and removed several items.
• Teresa Caverly, Goshen, told Goshen police someone gained access to her checking account information and used it to withdrawal money without authorization.
• Rose Chenoweth, East Peoria, Ill., told Goshen police a bag containing her laptop computer was stolen from her room at the Hampton Inn, 1968 Lincolnway East, Goshen, between 5:20 and 7:30 p.m. Friday.
• Elsie Minier, Goshen, told Goshen police her wallet containing two credit cards was stolen while she was at Kroger, 209 Chicago Ave., Goshen, at 7 a.m. Tuesday. The cards were later used to make several fraudulent purchases.
• Matthew Myers, Milford, told Goshen police an air conditioner and condenser unit were stolen from a vacant residence at 1217 Westwood Drive, Goshen, at 3:14 p.m. Saturday.
• Sheila Shively, Goshen, told Goshen police her cell phone was stolen while she was at the Maple City bowling alley, 1300 W. Pike St., Goshen, at 9:34 p.m. Saturday.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Edith Hernandez, 321 N. First St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged a window on her vehicle while it was parked at her home at 2:53 a.m. Saturday.
• Elisa Diaz, 342 Post Road, Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged the window to her back door at 3:12 a.m. Saturday.
• Angelica Porras, 33, 2104 Roys Ave., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at 8:36 a.m. Saturday at the intersection of Lincoln and Winter on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while her driver’s license was suspended. She was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• Heather L. Davis, 350 Stone Drive, Apt. A, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 12:10 p.m. Saturday in the 3400 block of Elkhart Road on a charge of driving a motor vehicle while a habitual traffic offender. She was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Rodolfo Romo, 23, 291 Roxbury Park, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 3:52 p.m. Saturday at the intersection of Bashor and Post on a charge of driving a motor vehicle while his license privileges were suspended. He was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• Dettienne M. Smith, 22, 2009 Raintree Drive, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at 12:23 a.m. Saturday in the 1500 block of Lincolnway East, Goshen, on a charge of possession of cocaine. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Goshen police arrested a 17-year-old boy on a charge of possession of marijuana Sunday night. The youth was stopped while riding his bike without lights in the dark in the 900 block of South Sixth Street around 9:30 p.m. The teen was released to a parent.
Gun at school investigated
- Police News
- Large theft from RV company reported Cameron Boyer, chief financial officer of Grand Design RV, Middlebury, reported Friday to Elkhart County police someone forged three checks using an account number belonging to the company at 11333 C.R. 2 in Middlebury. The forgery is believed to hav
- Driver jailed for drunk driving after early-morning wreck Three people were hurt in a two-vehicle crash north of Millersburg early Sunday morning. One driver was subsequently arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
UPDATE: Four people injured in four-vehicle U.S. 20 crash
A four-vehicle crash injured four people north of Goshen Sunday afternoon. Police said one of the drivers involved suffered life-threatening injuries.
The crash occurred around 12:30 p.m. on U.S. 20 east of C.R. 21.
UPDATE: Westview crash victim in critical condition
A Westview High School student remained hospitalized in critical condition today following a two-vehicle crash Thursday in LaGrange County.
Jaid Rex, 16, was listed in critical at Parkview Regional Medical Center in Fort Wayne. Her sister, Mikayla Rex, 18, was listed in fair condition this afternoon.
Three people hurt in crash, driver arrested
Three people were hurt in a two-vehicle crash north of Millersburg early this morning. One driver was subsequently arrested on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
Crash reported north of Goshen
Injuries have been reported in a traffic collision that happened north of Goshen earlier this afternoon.
- Several burglaries reported in Goshen Several thefts and burglaries were recently reported in Goshen, according to city police:
- Westview teen remains critical after wreck A Westview High School student remained in critical condition Friday afternoon following a two-vehicle crash Thursday in LaGrange County.
UPDATE: Westview student in critical condition after crash
A Westview High School student remained in critical condition Friday afternoon following a two-vehicle crash Thursday in LaGrange County.
Jaid Rex, 16, was listed in critical at Parkview Regional Medical Center in Fort Wayne. Her sister, Mikayla Rex, 18, was listed in fair condition Friday.
- Goshen resident reports burglary Goshen police reported recent theft and burglary incidents:
- More Police News Headlines