THE GOSHEN NEWS
A Milford toddler and her father were flown to South Bend Memorial Hospital after their buggy collided with a 2002 Volkswagen JGS around 6:19 p.m. Friday near Nappanee, according to Kosciusko County police.
The crash happened near 5414 West C.R. 1350 North at a driveway entrance.
According to police, the buggy, driven by Arlen R. Lehman, 51, Milford, was pulling out of the driveway and onto the road when he attempted to stop the horse from entering the roadway. The horse continued into the path of the Volkswagen, driven by Jodi R. Kauffman, 23, Etna Green.
Kauffman told police she saw the horse enter the road and she began to brake but her vehicle slid into the passenger side of the buggy, causing it to roll onto its side.
Lehman, and his 4-year-old daughter Ranae Lehman, were airlifted to South Bend Memorial Hospital and were listed in serious condition, according to police. No one else was injured in the crash, and it is still under investigation.
• Tanner Bontrager, 20, Goshen, reported he was riding his mo-ped on Dierdorff Road near Regent Court when he lost control on slippery roads and wrecked it around 2:05 p.m. Friday, according to Goshen police. He suffered minor injuries.
• Aaron Sowers, Goshen, reported Friday his property at 918 N. Seventh St. was broken into and items stolen, according to Goshen police.
• Mark Drapeza, 41, 702 E. Jackson St., Goshen, was arrested on a charge of criminal conversion at Martin’s Supermarket, 1527 Bashor Road, around 6:45 p.m. Friday, according to Goshen police.
• Two juvenile males, 15 and 17 years old, were arrested on charges of theft after they were reportedly caught stealing merchandise from Martin’s Supermarket around 10:30 p.m. Friday.
• Travis Eppert, 40, 201 Crescent Drive, Goshen, was arrested on charges of domestic battery, strangulation and interfering with the reporting of a crime at his residence around 10:30 p.m. Friday, according to Goshen police.
• Michael Contreras, 20, 1101 S. 11th St., Goshen, was arrested on a charge of never having obtained a driver’s license at 115 W. Pike St. around 8:34 p.m. Friday, according to Goshen police.
• Dequa Turner, 20, 317 Harrison St., Elkhart, was arrested on charges of fleeing law enforcement in a motor vehicle and never having obtained a driver’s license after he refused to stop his vehicle in the 1700 block of Elkhart Road around 2:59 a.m. Saturday, according to Goshen police.
• Brendon K. Riegsecker, 21, 10th St., Goshen, was arrested on charges of public intoxication and disorderly conduct after he was kicked out of Double D’s Bar around 12:30 a.m. Saturday, according to Goshen police.