The Elkhart County prosecutor is still reviewing the arrest of a suspect in the death of Elkhart resident Norma Hopper, 76.
Hopper was found dead at her home at 54640 Michael Drive, Elkhart, Friday, and police said the death was a homicide. Police have arrested a young man on a preliminary charge of murder but the prosecutor’s office has declined to name the suspect, saying the arrest is under review.
Old meth lab found
Shane McKerchie of Goshen, reported to Elkhart County police that while he was hunting on some property he came across what he believed to be a methamphetamine lab at approximately 9:04 a.m. Monday. The items were located by the Elkhart County Sheriff Department and were identified as several inactive methamphetamine labs. The Indiana State Police was contacted for clean up.
• Adalu Lagunas, 911 N. Seventh St., of Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole his red MD50-OT-5 scooter at approximately 3 p.m. Monday.
• Erin Fowler, 514 N. Seventh St., Goshen, reported to Goshen police that a burglary occurred at her residence at approximately 3 p.m. Tuesday.
• Ira Holdeman, 53130 C.R. 35, of Middlebury, reported to Elkhart County police a burglary to his pole barn with several tools stolen between Dec. 21 at 6:30 p.m. and Sunday at 10:30 p.m.
• Amanda Mullen, 7120 W. 500 North, of LaGrange, told LaGrange County Sheriff’s Department officers, someone stole $45, a credit card and debit card from her purse between 4 and 8:30 p.m. Monday.
• Ethan Merrill reported a hit and run accident to Elkhart County police on Orchard Lane, east of C.R. 115 in Goshen at approximately 7:32 p.m. Saturday. The driver left the scene in his vehicle and was later identified as Lewis Degraffreed, 40. He was issued a citation for leaving the scene of a property damage crash.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Cynthia Kincaid, 66627 Dekalb Lane, of Goshen, reported to Elkhart County police an unknown vehicle had driven through her front yard on three different occasions between Nov. 20 and Sunday causing damage to the lawn.
• Franzyne Wade, 1626 Tippecanoe Drive, of Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone drove a white truck over the mailbox in front of her residence at approximately 12:50 a.m. Monday.
• Claudia Altamirano-Montalvo, 31, was stopped by Elkhart County police on C.R. 17, south of C.R. 28 in Goshen for speeding at 4:47 p.m. Saturday. Altamirano-Montalvo was arrested on a charge of having never received a driver’s license. She was booked into the county jail.