THE GOSHEN NEWS
Goshen man gets 30 years for drug charge
A Goshen man was sentenced to 30 years in prison on a drug charge Thursday morning in Elkhart Circuit Court.
Martin Garcia-Rodriguez, 32, 2611 S. Main St., had earlier pleaded guilty to a Class A felony charge of dealing in cocaine. Without benefit of a plea deal, he had faced up to 50 years in prison.
Officers with the Elkhart County Interdiction and Covert Enforcement Unit (ICE) searched Garcia-Rodriguez’s home the night of March 12. The warrant was issued after a two-month investigation into drug trafficking from the home, authorities reported.
According to staff with the Elkhart County prosecutor’s office, police found approximately 140 grams of powdered cocaine. That amount has a street value of close to $154,000.
In court Thursday, defense attorney Jeff Majerek said Garcia-Rodriguez is very sorry and apologetic for what he’s done. Majerek also indicated his client has been cooperative with authorities.
Garcia-Rodriguez declined to make a statement on his behalf.
Circuit Court Judge Terry Shewmaker gave Garcia-Rodriguez credit for 113 days he’s already been incarcerated. According to court testimony, Garcia-Rodriguez is in the United States illegally.
A driver received minor injuries after swerving to miss a dog in E. Jackson Blvd., west of C.R. 15 in Elkhart. The crash occurred at 9:36 p.m. Tuesday. Elkhart County police said a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire driven by Alexandria Dawn Cramer, 21, Bristol, left the roadway, sideswiped a tree and struck a second tree head-on after she swerved to miss a dog. She complained of neck pain and consented to a check of her cell phone log and text messaging was not a factor.
• Herman Cortes, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole money from his bank account without his permission sometime Aug. 6, 2012.
• Gilbert Catano Jr. 28, 407 Brookside Manor, Goshen, and Shaila Catano, 28, 407 Brookside Manor, Goshen, were arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Wal-Mart Supercenter, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, at 4:36 p.m. Tuesday. They were released on a memorandum to appear in the Goshen City Court.
• Gloria Taylor, 615 Mercer Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole her grandson’s bike while parked at a friend’s house at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
• Cassondra Nelson and Megan Sauber, 11880 E. 435 South, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole $30 from their unlocked vehicle that had been in a wallet in the middle console along with a winning lottery ticket sometime Tuesday.
• Ben Jump, 3625 S. 1185 East, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole $15 in change from his unlocked vehicle at 2:27 p.m. Tuesday.
• Jinna Khamkeuana, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone stole a check from between June 28 and June 30, forged her name and gave it to another person to cash the value of the check.
• Jackie Yunker, 68281 Main St., New Paris, told Elkhart County police someone pushed her 13-year-old son in the front yard of her residence at 2:34 p.m. Monday.
• Michael Pratt, 43 Springfield Court, Goshen, told Goshen police of being the victim of a battery in Roxbury Park at 5:53 p.m. Tuesday.
• Dixie Robinson, 210 Crescent St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged two homes on Crescent Street sometime June 20 and a graffiti report was forwarded to the Goshen Park’s Department.
Traffic reports and arrests
• Yhovanny Hernandez Cedeno, 19, 1604 W. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of operating a vehicle while never receiving a license and ticketed for disregarding a traffic control device at Ind. 15 and U.S. Hwy 20, set up for road closure due to a vehicle collision in the road at 3:38 p.m. Tuesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• A 17-year-old male was stopped for speeding on C.R. 20, east of Ind. 15 by Elkhart County police at 6:20 p.m. Tuesday. He was found to have never receive a license and released to a parent pending charges.
• Goshen police were called to 302 S. Seventh St., Goshen, in reference to an intoxicated male at 11:52 p.m. Tuesday. Police said the male was very intoxicated and had a small squirt gun. No charges were filed due to no criminal act occurred.
• David Coulson, 30, 53586 C.R. 27 Lot 133, Bristol, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of intoxication in the 1000 block of W. Clinton St., Goshen after police were called to the area regarding harassment at 12:08 a.m. Wednesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.