Goshen man gets 30 years for drug charge
A Goshen man was sentenced to 30 years in prison on a drug charge Thursday morning in Elkhart Circuit Court.
Martin Garcia-Rodriguez, 32, 2611 S. Main St., had earlier pleaded guilty to a Class A felony charge of dealing in cocaine. Without benefit of a plea deal, he had faced up to 50 years in prison.
Officers with the Elkhart County Interdiction and Covert Enforcement Unit (ICE) searched Garcia-Rodriguez’s home the night of March 12. The warrant was issued after a two-month investigation into drug trafficking from the home, authorities reported.
According to staff with the Elkhart County prosecutor’s office, police found approximately 140 grams of powdered cocaine. That amount has a street value of close to $154,000.
In court Thursday, defense attorney Jeff Majerek said Garcia-Rodriguez is very sorry and apologetic for what he’s done. Majerek also indicated his client has been cooperative with authorities.
Garcia-Rodriguez declined to make a statement on his behalf.
Circuit Court Judge Terry Shewmaker gave Garcia-Rodriguez credit for 113 days he’s already been incarcerated. According to court testimony, Garcia-Rodriguez is in the United States illegally.
A driver received minor injuries after swerving to miss a dog in E. Jackson Blvd., west of C.R. 15 in Elkhart. The crash occurred at 9:36 p.m. Tuesday. Elkhart County police said a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire driven by Alexandria Dawn Cramer, 21, Bristol, left the roadway, sideswiped a tree and struck a second tree head-on after she swerved to miss a dog. She complained of neck pain and consented to a check of her cell phone log and text messaging was not a factor.
• Herman Cortes, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole money from his bank account without his permission sometime Aug. 6, 2012.
• Gilbert Catano Jr. 28, 407 Brookside Manor, Goshen, and Shaila Catano, 28, 407 Brookside Manor, Goshen, were arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Wal-Mart Supercenter, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, at 4:36 p.m. Tuesday. They were released on a memorandum to appear in the Goshen City Court.
• Gloria Taylor, 615 Mercer Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole her grandson’s bike while parked at a friend’s house at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
• Cassondra Nelson and Megan Sauber, 11880 E. 435 South, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole $30 from their unlocked vehicle that had been in a wallet in the middle console along with a winning lottery ticket sometime Tuesday.
• Ben Jump, 3625 S. 1185 East, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole $15 in change from his unlocked vehicle at 2:27 p.m. Tuesday.
• Jinna Khamkeuana, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone stole a check from between June 28 and June 30, forged her name and gave it to another person to cash the value of the check.
• Jackie Yunker, 68281 Main St., New Paris, told Elkhart County police someone pushed her 13-year-old son in the front yard of her residence at 2:34 p.m. Monday.
• Michael Pratt, 43 Springfield Court, Goshen, told Goshen police of being the victim of a battery in Roxbury Park at 5:53 p.m. Tuesday.
• Dixie Robinson, 210 Crescent St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged two homes on Crescent Street sometime June 20 and a graffiti report was forwarded to the Goshen Park’s Department.
Traffic reports and arrests
• Yhovanny Hernandez Cedeno, 19, 1604 W. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of operating a vehicle while never receiving a license and ticketed for disregarding a traffic control device at Ind. 15 and U.S. Hwy 20, set up for road closure due to a vehicle collision in the road at 3:38 p.m. Tuesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• A 17-year-old male was stopped for speeding on C.R. 20, east of Ind. 15 by Elkhart County police at 6:20 p.m. Tuesday. He was found to have never receive a license and released to a parent pending charges.
• Goshen police were called to 302 S. Seventh St., Goshen, in reference to an intoxicated male at 11:52 p.m. Tuesday. Police said the male was very intoxicated and had a small squirt gun. No charges were filed due to no criminal act occurred.
• David Coulson, 30, 53586 C.R. 27 Lot 133, Bristol, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of intoxication in the 1000 block of W. Clinton St., Goshen after police were called to the area regarding harassment at 12:08 a.m. Wednesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
Goshen man gets 30 years for drug charge
- Police News
Person injured in fall at Goshen business
Someone has been injured in a fall at Hoosier Interior Doors along Goshen’s East Lincoln Avenue.
- Police News; April 24, 2014 Goshen police is one of several law enforcement agencies seeking the public’s assistance in identifying suspects wanted for questioning in numerous thefts from retails stores throughout the state.
- SLIDESHOW: Police need help ID'ing suspects The Goshen Police Department is asking for the public's assistance in identifying suspects wanted for questioning in relation to a number of thefts from retail stores throughout Indiana. The four individuals have stolen over $25,000 worth of merchandise, according to law enforcement. The men are believed to be African-American and have been seen fleeing in a white Dodge Ram or another white pickup truck with a white cap which may have Florida license plates. Anyone with information is asked to call the Goshen Police Department at 574-533-8661 or Michiana CrimeStoppers at 800-342-STOP.
- Police News: April 23, 2014 Dale Greensides, 32, Bristol, the driver of a motorcycle involved in a crash with an automobile Sunday north of Middlebury, died today at 11:25 a.m.
Armed robbery with hammer thwarted by store employee
GOSHEN — Goshen police said a Michigan man was arrested after an attempted armed robbery Tuesday.
No injuries in Concord Township fire
Firefighters were called to a basement fire in a Concord Township home shortly after midnight today.
- POLICE NEWS FOR APRIL 21,2014: Bristol man ejected from motorcycle A Bristol man was badly injured after being ejected from his motorcycle in a three-vehicle collision at 12:34 p.m. Sunday near Middlebury. According to Elkhart County police, Sasha Lindwedel, 23, Elkhart, was driving her vehicle westbound on C.R. 2,
- Police news for April 20, 2014 Theft/burglary reports • Wendy Pavich, Mishawaka, filed a report with Goshen police Friday indicating her wedding ring was stolen while at Oaklawn, 330 Lakeview Drive, Goshen, at 10 a.m. April 9. • Jerome Cox, 1313 S. Ninth St., Goshen, filed a repor
- Police News: April 19, 2014 A South Bend man has been arrested in connection with a bank robbery last year in Bristol. Zamale E. Davis, 19, 1805 Chapin St., was arrested at 7:10 a.m. Friday in South Bend by officers with the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service. Police linked Dav
Bristol bank robbery suspect arrested
A South Bend man has been arrested in connection with a bank robbery last year in Bristol.
Zamale E. Davis, 19, 1805 Chapin St., was arrested at 7:10 a.m. Friday in South Bend by officers with the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service.
- More Police News Headlines
- Person injured in fall at Goshen business