Goshen man gets 30 years for drug charge
A Goshen man was sentenced to 30 years in prison on a drug charge Thursday morning in Elkhart Circuit Court.
Martin Garcia-Rodriguez, 32, 2611 S. Main St., had earlier pleaded guilty to a Class A felony charge of dealing in cocaine. Without benefit of a plea deal, he had faced up to 50 years in prison.
Officers with the Elkhart County Interdiction and Covert Enforcement Unit (ICE) searched Garcia-Rodriguez’s home the night of March 12. The warrant was issued after a two-month investigation into drug trafficking from the home, authorities reported.
According to staff with the Elkhart County prosecutor’s office, police found approximately 140 grams of powdered cocaine. That amount has a street value of close to $154,000.
In court Thursday, defense attorney Jeff Majerek said Garcia-Rodriguez is very sorry and apologetic for what he’s done. Majerek also indicated his client has been cooperative with authorities.
Garcia-Rodriguez declined to make a statement on his behalf.
Circuit Court Judge Terry Shewmaker gave Garcia-Rodriguez credit for 113 days he’s already been incarcerated. According to court testimony, Garcia-Rodriguez is in the United States illegally.
A driver received minor injuries after swerving to miss a dog in E. Jackson Blvd., west of C.R. 15 in Elkhart. The crash occurred at 9:36 p.m. Tuesday. Elkhart County police said a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire driven by Alexandria Dawn Cramer, 21, Bristol, left the roadway, sideswiped a tree and struck a second tree head-on after she swerved to miss a dog. She complained of neck pain and consented to a check of her cell phone log and text messaging was not a factor.
• Herman Cortes, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole money from his bank account without his permission sometime Aug. 6, 2012.
• Gilbert Catano Jr. 28, 407 Brookside Manor, Goshen, and Shaila Catano, 28, 407 Brookside Manor, Goshen, were arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Wal-Mart Supercenter, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, at 4:36 p.m. Tuesday. They were released on a memorandum to appear in the Goshen City Court.
• Gloria Taylor, 615 Mercer Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole her grandson’s bike while parked at a friend’s house at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
• Cassondra Nelson and Megan Sauber, 11880 E. 435 South, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole $30 from their unlocked vehicle that had been in a wallet in the middle console along with a winning lottery ticket sometime Tuesday.
• Ben Jump, 3625 S. 1185 East, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole $15 in change from his unlocked vehicle at 2:27 p.m. Tuesday.
• Jinna Khamkeuana, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone stole a check from between June 28 and June 30, forged her name and gave it to another person to cash the value of the check.
• Jackie Yunker, 68281 Main St., New Paris, told Elkhart County police someone pushed her 13-year-old son in the front yard of her residence at 2:34 p.m. Monday.
• Michael Pratt, 43 Springfield Court, Goshen, told Goshen police of being the victim of a battery in Roxbury Park at 5:53 p.m. Tuesday.
• Dixie Robinson, 210 Crescent St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged two homes on Crescent Street sometime June 20 and a graffiti report was forwarded to the Goshen Park’s Department.
Traffic reports and arrests
• Yhovanny Hernandez Cedeno, 19, 1604 W. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of operating a vehicle while never receiving a license and ticketed for disregarding a traffic control device at Ind. 15 and U.S. Hwy 20, set up for road closure due to a vehicle collision in the road at 3:38 p.m. Tuesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• A 17-year-old male was stopped for speeding on C.R. 20, east of Ind. 15 by Elkhart County police at 6:20 p.m. Tuesday. He was found to have never receive a license and released to a parent pending charges.
• Goshen police were called to 302 S. Seventh St., Goshen, in reference to an intoxicated male at 11:52 p.m. Tuesday. Police said the male was very intoxicated and had a small squirt gun. No charges were filed due to no criminal act occurred.
• David Coulson, 30, 53586 C.R. 27 Lot 133, Bristol, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of intoxication in the 1000 block of W. Clinton St., Goshen after police were called to the area regarding harassment at 12:08 a.m. Wednesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
Goshen man gets 30 years for drug charge
- Police News
- POLICE NEWS FOR JULY 28, 2014: Children injured in crash Two children and an adult were taken to a local hospital Sunday with minor injuries after a two-vehicle crash near the intersection of C.R. 17 and C.R. 18, east of Elkhart.Judy K. Buckmeier, 63, was southbound in a 2014 Buick Enclave carrying three p
- Police news for July 27, 2014 Drug-related arrestsA Middlebury man was arrested Friday morning on two drug-related charges and driving with a suspended license. According to Goshen police, Martin Brown, 26, was stopped at 6:10 a.m. for failing to signal within 200 feet of a turn
- Elkhart man arrested after hitting utility pole A 2007 Lincoln MKZ driven by Robert Maxey, 25, Elkhart, was eastbound on C.R. 4, east of C.R. 5 near Elkhart. According to Elkhart County police, the vehicle ran off the roadway and struck a utility pole at 12:27 a.m. Friday. Maxey was transported to
- Abandoned animals removed from home Goshen police and Humane Society of Elkhart County officer Dan Scott were called to 416 N. Eighth Street in Goshen Thursday afternoon for abandoned animals in the unoccupied residence.
Police ask for public's help in identifying would-be robber
Elkhart County police have released still photos captured from video of the man who attempted to hold up Red D Mart gas station, 68310 Ind. 15, New Paris, on Saturday, July 19.
- POLICE NEWS FOR JULY 23: Police determine car fire at Linway Plaza was a suicide attempt Following a four-month investigation, Goshen police determined that a car fire in the Linway Plaza parking lot on March 19 was an attempted suicide.According to Goshen police, William J. Tully was inside a car that caught fire at 12:11 p.m. March 19
- LaGrange man airlifted from scene of crash A motorcyclist was seriously injured in a crash at Ind. 13 and C.R. 34 at 1:48 p.m. Tuesday. Terry Fry, 44, LaGrange, was airlifted by MedFlight from the scene. Elkhart County police said he was taken to South Bend Memorial Hospital with fractures to
Suspicious blinking package with battery pack causes police to evacuate business area
A package with a battery pack and a blinking red light found on the desk of an employee at MSC, 28551 Laura Court, Elkhart, caused police and firefighters to evacuate the area this morning.
The package turned out to be a GPS tracking device and not a bomb.
Cat beaten to death in burglary
A house cat was found beaten to death following a burglary at a home in Howe Sunday.
Fiery crash kills one, critically injures two in North Webster
A fiery crash in North Webster left a Pennsylvania man dead and two others critically injured at 3:21 p.m. Sunday on Ind. 13, near Esterbrook Drive.
- More Police News Headlines