Goshen man gets 30 years for drug charge
A Goshen man was sentenced to 30 years in prison on a drug charge Thursday morning in Elkhart Circuit Court.
Martin Garcia-Rodriguez, 32, 2611 S. Main St., had earlier pleaded guilty to a Class A felony charge of dealing in cocaine. Without benefit of a plea deal, he had faced up to 50 years in prison.
Officers with the Elkhart County Interdiction and Covert Enforcement Unit (ICE) searched Garcia-Rodriguez’s home the night of March 12. The warrant was issued after a two-month investigation into drug trafficking from the home, authorities reported.
According to staff with the Elkhart County prosecutor’s office, police found approximately 140 grams of powdered cocaine. That amount has a street value of close to $154,000.
In court Thursday, defense attorney Jeff Majerek said Garcia-Rodriguez is very sorry and apologetic for what he’s done. Majerek also indicated his client has been cooperative with authorities.
Garcia-Rodriguez declined to make a statement on his behalf.
Circuit Court Judge Terry Shewmaker gave Garcia-Rodriguez credit for 113 days he’s already been incarcerated. According to court testimony, Garcia-Rodriguez is in the United States illegally.
A driver received minor injuries after swerving to miss a dog in E. Jackson Blvd., west of C.R. 15 in Elkhart. The crash occurred at 9:36 p.m. Tuesday. Elkhart County police said a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire driven by Alexandria Dawn Cramer, 21, Bristol, left the roadway, sideswiped a tree and struck a second tree head-on after she swerved to miss a dog. She complained of neck pain and consented to a check of her cell phone log and text messaging was not a factor.
• Herman Cortes, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole money from his bank account without his permission sometime Aug. 6, 2012.
• Gilbert Catano Jr. 28, 407 Brookside Manor, Goshen, and Shaila Catano, 28, 407 Brookside Manor, Goshen, were arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Wal-Mart Supercenter, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, at 4:36 p.m. Tuesday. They were released on a memorandum to appear in the Goshen City Court.
• Gloria Taylor, 615 Mercer Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole her grandson’s bike while parked at a friend’s house at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
• Cassondra Nelson and Megan Sauber, 11880 E. 435 South, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole $30 from their unlocked vehicle that had been in a wallet in the middle console along with a winning lottery ticket sometime Tuesday.
• Ben Jump, 3625 S. 1185 East, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole $15 in change from his unlocked vehicle at 2:27 p.m. Tuesday.
• Jinna Khamkeuana, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone stole a check from between June 28 and June 30, forged her name and gave it to another person to cash the value of the check.
• Jackie Yunker, 68281 Main St., New Paris, told Elkhart County police someone pushed her 13-year-old son in the front yard of her residence at 2:34 p.m. Monday.
• Michael Pratt, 43 Springfield Court, Goshen, told Goshen police of being the victim of a battery in Roxbury Park at 5:53 p.m. Tuesday.
• Dixie Robinson, 210 Crescent St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged two homes on Crescent Street sometime June 20 and a graffiti report was forwarded to the Goshen Park’s Department.
Traffic reports and arrests
• Yhovanny Hernandez Cedeno, 19, 1604 W. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of operating a vehicle while never receiving a license and ticketed for disregarding a traffic control device at Ind. 15 and U.S. Hwy 20, set up for road closure due to a vehicle collision in the road at 3:38 p.m. Tuesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• A 17-year-old male was stopped for speeding on C.R. 20, east of Ind. 15 by Elkhart County police at 6:20 p.m. Tuesday. He was found to have never receive a license and released to a parent pending charges.
• Goshen police were called to 302 S. Seventh St., Goshen, in reference to an intoxicated male at 11:52 p.m. Tuesday. Police said the male was very intoxicated and had a small squirt gun. No charges were filed due to no criminal act occurred.
• David Coulson, 30, 53586 C.R. 27 Lot 133, Bristol, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of intoxication in the 1000 block of W. Clinton St., Goshen after police were called to the area regarding harassment at 12:08 a.m. Wednesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
Goshen man gets 30 years for drug charge
- Police News
- Several thefts reported to police • Jesus Hernandez, 18, 213 Tanglewood Drive, told Goshen police someone tried to steal his mo-ped at his home Tuesday. The incident occurred around 5:30 p.m.
- POLICE NEWS: Millersburg convenience store clerk robbed at gunpoint A Millersburg clerk was robbed at gunpoint Monday night, police reported. Millersburg Town Marshal Keith Hathaway said the robbery occurred at 7:45 p.m. at Simars Convenience Store, 206 N. Benton St. (Ind. 13). Two white males entered the store and r
Millersburg convenience store clerk robbed at gunpoint
A Millersburg clerk was robbed at gunpoint Monday night, police reported.
Teen reaches plea deal in 2010 Enchanted Hills killing
An Indiana youth who was sentenced to 25 years after pleading guilty at age 12 to helping kill a friend's stepfather could leave prison as early as next year.
- Two break-ins reported Police investigated calls of break-ins recently.
- Fatal crash remains under investigation Elkhart County police continue to investigate a Nov. 20 crash that claimed the life of a Ligonier man. Investigators are seeking information about another vehicle that might have been in the area at the time of the collision.
Police: Vehicle in fatal crash was traveling at more than 100 mph
Elkhart County police continue to investigate a Nov. 20 crash that claimed the life of a Ligonier man.
- No cause yet for Friday blaze No cause has been determined in the blaze firefighters say heavily damaged a home northeast of Goshen Friday night.
- Two injured in crash on Ind. 15 Two people were injured in a single-vehicle crash on Ind. 15, south of C.R. 14 near Bristol Saturday. The crash occurred at 5 p.m. According to Elkhart County police, a 2004 Ford F-150 driven by Michael Norton, 50, Colon, Mich., left the roadway and
- Ligonier man sentenced to six years in prison A Ligonier man was sentenced to prison on a drug-related charge last week. Gerald Sawicki, 53, had previously pleaded guilty to attempted dealing in methamphetamine by manufacuturing. In Elkhart Circuit Court Thursday, he was sentenced to six years i
- More Police News Headlines