THE GOSHEN NEWS
A Cromwell woman was killed Friday morning when her truck ran off the road to avoid a deer.
According to Elkhart County police, Susana Meza, 36, was driving a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado pickup westbound on U.S. 6 at 5:36 a.m. when a deer entered the road and was struck by another vehicle while in the eastbound lane and thrown into the path of Meza’s pickup. Her pickup struck the deer and she lost control of the vehicle, according to police. The pickup went off the south side of the highway and went into a ditch. The driver’s side door and roof of the truck struck a tree, causing fatal injuries to Meza.
The crash is under investigation by the Elkhart County Sheriff Department Crash Investigation team.
Man arrested on warrant
A Goshen man was arrested on a warrant during a traffic stop. According to Goshen police, a traffic stop was made on Wilkinson Street at First Street in Goshen for failing to indicate a turn prior to 200 feet at approximately 2:53 a.m. Friday.
The passenger of the vehicle was found to be the accused, Michael Norton, 24, 1101 S. 16th St., Goshen, for having a Goshen warrant and reportedly possession of marijuana. Norton was taken to the Elkhart County Jail and incarcerated.
A Middlebury teenager was treated at IU Health Goshen Thursday after police found he allegedly consumed alcohol.
Elkhart County police reported they responded to a medical call in the 53000 block of Palmetto Drive, Middlebury in reference to an intoxicated 19-year-old male at 2:25 a.m. Thursday, according to police. The teen was transported to the hospital for medical treatment due to his intoxication level.
Fairfield student cited
According to Elkhart County police, the school resource officer at Fairfield Jr.-Sr. High School, filed a disorderly conduct report on a 16-year-old student at approximately 11:20 a.m. Wednesday. The student was reportedly engaging in extreme disruptive, defiant and non-compliant behavior.
According to Goshen police, Patrick Hurley, 60, 905 S. Seventh St., Goshen, died from a self-inflicted gunshot. Police were called to the home at 9:05 a.m. Friday.
• Darnell Jett, 2665 Alpine Fir Lane, Apt. 16E, Goshen, told Goshen police a 2001 silver/tan Chevrolet Silverado was stolen from his place of residence at approximately 1 a.m. Friday.
• According to Elkhart County police, Amy Bohnic and David Gilson, 12276 Pine Cone Drive, Goshen, reported someone removed several metal items from their back yard at 11:52 p.m. Monday.
• Amber Pauls, Goshen, reported to Goshen police a case of criminal mischief that occurred at her residence Oct. 27 at 7 a.m.
• Carolyn Griffey, Goshen, told Goshen police someone threw eggs on her 1999 Jeep while it was parked in her driveway at 9 a.m. Thursday.
•According to Goshen police, Chelsea Archer, Goshen, reported her garage door was vandalized at approximately 10 p.m. Thursday.
• Jordan Wenger, 22 was stopped for a traffic violation in the area of C.R. 50 and C.R. 43 at 12.02 a.m. Friday, according to Elkhart County police. He was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana and operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He was incarcerated at the county jail.