Several motorists were hurt in recent automobile crashes:
• One driver was hurt in a two-car crash on U.S. 33 near C.R. 26 at 5:35 p.m. Friday.
Goshen police said Patricia Kron, 72, 2926 Elkhart Road, Goshen, was driving a 1992 Buick Century northwest on U.S. 33 and Brooke Atherton, 34, 58371 Crystal Springs Court, Goshen, was driving a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu northwest on U.S. 33. The Kron vehicle collided with the rear of the Chevrolet, police reported.
Kron had head pain as a result of the crash. Goshen police cited Kron for having expired vehicle registration.
• One person was hurt in a single-car crash at 5:20 p.m. Saturday on C.R. 42 east of C.R. 31.
Elkhart County police said a 2000 Chevrolet truck driven by Lucinda Yoder, 18, Bremen, was headed east on C.R. 42 when the driver lost control on the icy roadway. The truck went off the road and into an embankment on the south side of the road. The driver was not hurt. A passenger, Ruth Chupp, 35, Nappanee, had head pain and was taken to the IU Goshen Hospital for treatment.
• Elkhart County police were called to a single-vehicle crash at 6:41 a.m. Sunday on C.R. 42, north of C.R. 142.
Police said Brandy Hernandez, 32, Bremen, was driving a 2001 Dodge Stratus west on C.R. 42 when she lost control of the car and it went off the road at 18044 C.R. 42. The car struck a large pine tree before continuing another 200 feet.
The driver was taken to IU Goshen Hospital for treatment of head and neck pain.
Local police arrested several people recently on battery-related charges:
• Goshen police were called to the IU Goshen Hospital at 9 p.m. Sunday to investigate a reported battery incident. After an initial investigation, police went to a home in the 400 block of South Fifth Street where they found Christopher Bontrager, 28, 2106 1/2 Bashor Road, and arrested him on a charge of domestic battery, a Class D felony. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Elkhart County police arrested Jeffery Bigler, 37, 58741 Max Drive, Goshen, after they were called to Bigler’s resident at 5 p.m. Saturday. Bigler was arrested on a charge of domestic battery, a Class D felony, and was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Employees of Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, reported to Goshen police at 8:42 p.m. Sunday that three young men shoplifted items valued at $170 from the store. The youths fled the store before police arrived.
• Goshen police received a report of criminal mischief from Robin Soto, 38, 105 S. Cottage Ave., Goshen, on Sunday. Soto said someone broke out a front window of the home with a BB gun between 8 and 8:50 p.m. Sunday.
• Elkhart County police stopped a vehicle driven by Earle L. Snover, 53, LaGrange, on Hively Avenue west of Ind. 19, at 11:35 p.m. Friday due to a traffic violation. Police arrested Snover and a passenger, Black McCrory, 30, Granger, on charges of possession of marijuana, a Class D felony.
• Billy Ray Belt, 50, 1502 Berkey Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop on C.R. 28, east of C.R. 9, at 7:22 p.m. Saturday. Belt was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
- Police News
- Several thefts reported to police • Jesus Hernandez, 18, 213 Tanglewood Drive, told Goshen police someone tried to steal his mo-ped at his home Tuesday. The incident occurred around 5:30 p.m.
- POLICE NEWS: Millersburg convenience store clerk robbed at gunpoint A Millersburg clerk was robbed at gunpoint Monday night, police reported. Millersburg Town Marshal Keith Hathaway said the robbery occurred at 7:45 p.m. at Simars Convenience Store, 206 N. Benton St. (Ind. 13). Two white males entered the store and r
Millersburg convenience store clerk robbed at gunpoint
A Millersburg clerk was robbed at gunpoint Monday night, police reported.
Teen reaches plea deal in 2010 Enchanted Hills killing
An Indiana youth who was sentenced to 25 years after pleading guilty at age 12 to helping kill a friend's stepfather could leave prison as early as next year.
- Two break-ins reported Police investigated calls of break-ins recently.
- Fatal crash remains under investigation Elkhart County police continue to investigate a Nov. 20 crash that claimed the life of a Ligonier man. Investigators are seeking information about another vehicle that might have been in the area at the time of the collision.
Police: Vehicle in fatal crash was traveling at more than 100 mph
Elkhart County police continue to investigate a Nov. 20 crash that claimed the life of a Ligonier man.
- No cause yet for Friday blaze No cause has been determined in the blaze firefighters say heavily damaged a home northeast of Goshen Friday night.
- Two injured in crash on Ind. 15 Two people were injured in a single-vehicle crash on Ind. 15, south of C.R. 14 near Bristol Saturday. The crash occurred at 5 p.m. According to Elkhart County police, a 2004 Ford F-150 driven by Michael Norton, 50, Colon, Mich., left the roadway and
- Ligonier man sentenced to six years in prison A Ligonier man was sentenced to prison on a drug-related charge last week. Gerald Sawicki, 53, had previously pleaded guilty to attempted dealing in methamphetamine by manufacuturing. In Elkhart Circuit Court Thursday, he was sentenced to six years i
- More Police News Headlines