Several motorists were hurt in recent automobile crashes:
• One driver was hurt in a two-car crash on U.S. 33 near C.R. 26 at 5:35 p.m. Friday.
Goshen police said Patricia Kron, 72, 2926 Elkhart Road, Goshen, was driving a 1992 Buick Century northwest on U.S. 33 and Brooke Atherton, 34, 58371 Crystal Springs Court, Goshen, was driving a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu northwest on U.S. 33. The Kron vehicle collided with the rear of the Chevrolet, police reported.
Kron had head pain as a result of the crash. Goshen police cited Kron for having expired vehicle registration.
• One person was hurt in a single-car crash at 5:20 p.m. Saturday on C.R. 42 east of C.R. 31.
Elkhart County police said a 2000 Chevrolet truck driven by Lucinda Yoder, 18, Bremen, was headed east on C.R. 42 when the driver lost control on the icy roadway. The truck went off the road and into an embankment on the south side of the road. The driver was not hurt. A passenger, Ruth Chupp, 35, Nappanee, had head pain and was taken to the IU Goshen Hospital for treatment.
• Elkhart County police were called to a single-vehicle crash at 6:41 a.m. Sunday on C.R. 42, north of C.R. 142.
Police said Brandy Hernandez, 32, Bremen, was driving a 2001 Dodge Stratus west on C.R. 42 when she lost control of the car and it went off the road at 18044 C.R. 42. The car struck a large pine tree before continuing another 200 feet.
The driver was taken to IU Goshen Hospital for treatment of head and neck pain.
Local police arrested several people recently on battery-related charges:
• Goshen police were called to the IU Goshen Hospital at 9 p.m. Sunday to investigate a reported battery incident. After an initial investigation, police went to a home in the 400 block of South Fifth Street where they found Christopher Bontrager, 28, 2106 1/2 Bashor Road, and arrested him on a charge of domestic battery, a Class D felony. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Elkhart County police arrested Jeffery Bigler, 37, 58741 Max Drive, Goshen, after they were called to Bigler’s resident at 5 p.m. Saturday. Bigler was arrested on a charge of domestic battery, a Class D felony, and was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Employees of Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, reported to Goshen police at 8:42 p.m. Sunday that three young men shoplifted items valued at $170 from the store. The youths fled the store before police arrived.
• Goshen police received a report of criminal mischief from Robin Soto, 38, 105 S. Cottage Ave., Goshen, on Sunday. Soto said someone broke out a front window of the home with a BB gun between 8 and 8:50 p.m. Sunday.
• Elkhart County police stopped a vehicle driven by Earle L. Snover, 53, LaGrange, on Hively Avenue west of Ind. 19, at 11:35 p.m. Friday due to a traffic violation. Police arrested Snover and a passenger, Black McCrory, 30, Granger, on charges of possession of marijuana, a Class D felony.
• Billy Ray Belt, 50, 1502 Berkey Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop on C.R. 28, east of C.R. 9, at 7:22 p.m. Saturday. Belt was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
- Police News
- Police cars hit in multi-county chase According to Middlebury police, officer Gary Smith attempted to locate a silver Saturn leaving McDonald’s on Ind. 13, near U.S. 20 in Middlebury at 11:30 p.m. Monday. Jonathan Gaby, 31, Middlebury, the driver of the Saturn was reported to be allegedly intoxicated.
- Goshen crash injures driver A two-vehicle crash Saturday afternoon at the intersection of U.S. 33 and Ind. 4 injured one driver, according to Goshen police reports. Shortly before 2:30 p.m. Saturday, a 2009 Nissan Cube driven by Emily N. Lee, 18, was northbound on U.S. 33 near
- Goshen woman guilty of stealing government property Crystal Riggs, 48, Goshen, pled guilty to felony theft of government property in federal court in South Bend. The magistrate judge is recommending that the district court accept the tendered guilty plea. Parties have 14 days in which to object to the
- Suspicious bottle found at Concord High School According to Elkhart County Sheriff’s Capt. Jim Bradberry, police responded to Concord High School, 59117 Minuteman Way, Elkhart, Wednesday at 6:51 p.m. to a suspicious bottle that was found on the south side of the high school.
- Man pleads guilty to assault with knife Andrew Adkins, 26, Goshen, pleaded guilty Wednesday to one count of battery by means of a deadly weapon, a Class C felony. According to a statement from the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office, Adkins was scheduled for trial Tuesday in Elkhart Superio
- One killed, one hurt in separate wrecks One person was killed and another badly injured in two unrelated crashes in Elkhart and Noble counties over the weekend.
- CIRCUIT COURT: Elkhart's Rushlow sentenced to 58 years for attempted murder GOSHEN — An Elkhart man was sentenced to 58 years in prison after a jury convicted him of attempted murder last month. Nicholas A. Rushlow, 32, Elkhart, was charged with felony attempted murder and felony criminal recklessness when his case went to t
Police: Warsaw man broke into funeral home for children's DVDs
A Warsaw man was arrested after police said they found him crawling out of a broken window at Mishler Funeral Home in Milford Tuesday morning.
Fiery crash reported near Topeka
LaGrange County 911 dispatchers received a call at 2:50 p.m. Thursday of a two-vehicle crash at 6765 W. 300 South near Topeka stating the vehicles were on fire.
- Burglary suspect arrested within minutes Officers with the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department apprehended a burglary suspect Wednesday morning, just north of Leesburg, within 12 minutes of the crime.
- More Police News Headlines