Several motorists were hurt in recent automobile crashes:
• One driver was hurt in a two-car crash on U.S. 33 near C.R. 26 at 5:35 p.m. Friday.
Goshen police said Patricia Kron, 72, 2926 Elkhart Road, Goshen, was driving a 1992 Buick Century northwest on U.S. 33 and Brooke Atherton, 34, 58371 Crystal Springs Court, Goshen, was driving a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu northwest on U.S. 33. The Kron vehicle collided with the rear of the Chevrolet, police reported.
Kron had head pain as a result of the crash. Goshen police cited Kron for having expired vehicle registration.
• One person was hurt in a single-car crash at 5:20 p.m. Saturday on C.R. 42 east of C.R. 31.
Elkhart County police said a 2000 Chevrolet truck driven by Lucinda Yoder, 18, Bremen, was headed east on C.R. 42 when the driver lost control on the icy roadway. The truck went off the road and into an embankment on the south side of the road. The driver was not hurt. A passenger, Ruth Chupp, 35, Nappanee, had head pain and was taken to the IU Goshen Hospital for treatment.
• Elkhart County police were called to a single-vehicle crash at 6:41 a.m. Sunday on C.R. 42, north of C.R. 142.
Police said Brandy Hernandez, 32, Bremen, was driving a 2001 Dodge Stratus west on C.R. 42 when she lost control of the car and it went off the road at 18044 C.R. 42. The car struck a large pine tree before continuing another 200 feet.
The driver was taken to IU Goshen Hospital for treatment of head and neck pain.
Local police arrested several people recently on battery-related charges:
• Goshen police were called to the IU Goshen Hospital at 9 p.m. Sunday to investigate a reported battery incident. After an initial investigation, police went to a home in the 400 block of South Fifth Street where they found Christopher Bontrager, 28, 2106 1/2 Bashor Road, and arrested him on a charge of domestic battery, a Class D felony. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Elkhart County police arrested Jeffery Bigler, 37, 58741 Max Drive, Goshen, after they were called to Bigler’s resident at 5 p.m. Saturday. Bigler was arrested on a charge of domestic battery, a Class D felony, and was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Employees of Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, reported to Goshen police at 8:42 p.m. Sunday that three young men shoplifted items valued at $170 from the store. The youths fled the store before police arrived.
• Goshen police received a report of criminal mischief from Robin Soto, 38, 105 S. Cottage Ave., Goshen, on Sunday. Soto said someone broke out a front window of the home with a BB gun between 8 and 8:50 p.m. Sunday.
• Elkhart County police stopped a vehicle driven by Earle L. Snover, 53, LaGrange, on Hively Avenue west of Ind. 19, at 11:35 p.m. Friday due to a traffic violation. Police arrested Snover and a passenger, Black McCrory, 30, Granger, on charges of possession of marijuana, a Class D felony.
• Billy Ray Belt, 50, 1502 Berkey Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop on C.R. 28, east of C.R. 9, at 7:22 p.m. Saturday. Belt was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
- Police News
- Police News: April 18, 2014 The following thefts and burglaries were recently reported to local police: • Ron Davidhizar told Goshen police Wednesday that someone broke into his storage shed at 221 Queen St. and stole items. • Personnel at Synergy RV Transport, 2448 E. Kercher
- Three Concord firefighters suspended for mishandling drugs Concord Township firefighters Don Mansell, Bill Creedon and Jon Simmons were accused by Concord Township Trustee Mark Grabill with the failure to follow the Concord Township Fire Department’s protocol regarding proper tag removal on narcotics boxes.
- Police News: April 17, 2014 A one-vehicle crash injured two men — one critically — south of Leesburg Tuesday.
Six injured in crash northwest of Wakarusa
A two-vehicle crash injured six people north of Wakarusa Tuesday.
The mishap occurred around 7:20 a.m. at the intersection of C.R.s 1 and 26.
Driver critically injured in Kosciusko County crash
A one-vehicle crash injured two men — one critically — south of Leesburg Tuesday.
The mishap occurred on C.R. 150 West just south of C.R. 400 North around 5 p.m.
- Man gets 80 years for threat on wife An Elkhart man who threatened to set his wife on fire has been sentenced to 80 years in prison.
- Police news: Several arrested on charges of drunken driving • Lori L. Ellis, 48, 12778 N. 300 East, Syracuse, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of driving while intoxicated at 1:35 a.m. Sunday. Ellis was stopped for a traffic stop at Dierdorff and Kercher Roads in Goshen for driving left of center and transported to the Elkhart County jail.
- Police/Rescue News: April 13, 2014 Area police made several arrests recently.
Goshen firefighters battle blaze at Brookside Manor
Goshen firefighters battled a blaze at a home in Brookside Manor Mobile Home Park this morning.
The residence is located along Orchid Avenue in the park on Goshen's northwest side.
- Police respond to report of stolen tools GOSHEN -- A man was taken to a mental health facility after police responded to threats he made to harm himself and others. Goshen police blocked off Fifth Street between Madison and Jefferson Friday afternoon. For public safety reasons, other resid
- More Police News Headlines