Several motorists were hurt in recent automobile crashes:
• One driver was hurt in a two-car crash on U.S. 33 near C.R. 26 at 5:35 p.m. Friday.
Goshen police said Patricia Kron, 72, 2926 Elkhart Road, Goshen, was driving a 1992 Buick Century northwest on U.S. 33 and Brooke Atherton, 34, 58371 Crystal Springs Court, Goshen, was driving a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu northwest on U.S. 33. The Kron vehicle collided with the rear of the Chevrolet, police reported.
Kron had head pain as a result of the crash. Goshen police cited Kron for having expired vehicle registration.
• One person was hurt in a single-car crash at 5:20 p.m. Saturday on C.R. 42 east of C.R. 31.
Elkhart County police said a 2000 Chevrolet truck driven by Lucinda Yoder, 18, Bremen, was headed east on C.R. 42 when the driver lost control on the icy roadway. The truck went off the road and into an embankment on the south side of the road. The driver was not hurt. A passenger, Ruth Chupp, 35, Nappanee, had head pain and was taken to the IU Goshen Hospital for treatment.
• Elkhart County police were called to a single-vehicle crash at 6:41 a.m. Sunday on C.R. 42, north of C.R. 142.
Police said Brandy Hernandez, 32, Bremen, was driving a 2001 Dodge Stratus west on C.R. 42 when she lost control of the car and it went off the road at 18044 C.R. 42. The car struck a large pine tree before continuing another 200 feet.
The driver was taken to IU Goshen Hospital for treatment of head and neck pain.
Local police arrested several people recently on battery-related charges:
• Goshen police were called to the IU Goshen Hospital at 9 p.m. Sunday to investigate a reported battery incident. After an initial investigation, police went to a home in the 400 block of South Fifth Street where they found Christopher Bontrager, 28, 2106 1/2 Bashor Road, and arrested him on a charge of domestic battery, a Class D felony. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Elkhart County police arrested Jeffery Bigler, 37, 58741 Max Drive, Goshen, after they were called to Bigler’s resident at 5 p.m. Saturday. Bigler was arrested on a charge of domestic battery, a Class D felony, and was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Employees of Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, reported to Goshen police at 8:42 p.m. Sunday that three young men shoplifted items valued at $170 from the store. The youths fled the store before police arrived.
• Goshen police received a report of criminal mischief from Robin Soto, 38, 105 S. Cottage Ave., Goshen, on Sunday. Soto said someone broke out a front window of the home with a BB gun between 8 and 8:50 p.m. Sunday.
• Elkhart County police stopped a vehicle driven by Earle L. Snover, 53, LaGrange, on Hively Avenue west of Ind. 19, at 11:35 p.m. Friday due to a traffic violation. Police arrested Snover and a passenger, Black McCrory, 30, Granger, on charges of possession of marijuana, a Class D felony.
• Billy Ray Belt, 50, 1502 Berkey Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop on C.R. 28, east of C.R. 9, at 7:22 p.m. Saturday. Belt was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
- Police News
- 2 Elkhart County work release escapees reported Two Goshen men have been listed as escapees from the Elkhart County Work Release Center in Goshen.Elkhart County police reported Tuesday that John A. Eller, 48, was reported as an escapee at 9:30 a.m. Saturday. Thomas M. Moser, 35, was reported as an
- Two drivers injured in crash A collision Monday injured two drivers in Goshen, according to Goshen police.
- POLICE NEWS FOR JULY 28, 2014: Children injured in crash Two children and an adult were taken to a local hospital Sunday with minor injuries after a two-vehicle crash near the intersection of C.R. 17 and C.R. 18, east of Elkhart.Judy K. Buckmeier, 63, was southbound in a 2014 Buick Enclave carrying three p
- Police news for July 27, 2014 Drug-related arrestsA Middlebury man was arrested Friday morning on two drug-related charges and driving with a suspended license. According to Goshen police, Martin Brown, 26, was stopped at 6:10 a.m. for failing to signal within 200 feet of a turn
- Elkhart man arrested after hitting utility pole A 2007 Lincoln MKZ driven by Robert Maxey, 25, Elkhart, was eastbound on C.R. 4, east of C.R. 5 near Elkhart. According to Elkhart County police, the vehicle ran off the roadway and struck a utility pole at 12:27 a.m. Friday. Maxey was transported to
- Abandoned animals removed from home Goshen police and Humane Society of Elkhart County officer Dan Scott were called to 416 N. Eighth Street in Goshen Thursday afternoon for abandoned animals in the unoccupied residence.
Police ask for public's help in identifying would-be robber
Elkhart County police have released still photos captured from video of the man who attempted to hold up Red D Mart gas station, 68310 Ind. 15, New Paris, on Saturday, July 19.
- POLICE NEWS FOR JULY 23: Police determine car fire at Linway Plaza was a suicide attempt Following a four-month investigation, Goshen police determined that a car fire in the Linway Plaza parking lot on March 19 was an attempted suicide.According to Goshen police, William J. Tully was inside a car that caught fire at 12:11 p.m. March 19
- LaGrange man airlifted from scene of crash A motorcyclist was seriously injured in a crash at Ind. 13 and C.R. 34 at 1:48 p.m. Tuesday. Terry Fry, 44, LaGrange, was airlifted by MedFlight from the scene. Elkhart County police said he was taken to South Bend Memorial Hospital with fractures to
Suspicious blinking package with battery pack causes police to evacuate business area
A package with a battery pack and a blinking red light found on the desk of an employee at MSC, 28551 Laura Court, Elkhart, caused police and firefighters to evacuate the area this morning.
The package turned out to be a GPS tracking device and not a bomb.
- More Police News Headlines