Authorities say three Amish school teachers escaped a small schoolhouse that had filled with carbon monoxide gas Tuesday.
Topeka Fire Chief Stewart Bender says the three teachers lived in the school in a rural area of LaGrange County. Bender told The News Sun one of the teachers woke up about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday and alerted the others, one of whom was initially unresponsive.
Bender says the three showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and were vomiting. One teacher was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment while medics treated the others at the scene.
Bender said the carbon monoxide was traced to an exhaust leak on a well water pump and a damaged stove pipe.
Motorists were injured in recent crashes responded to by Goshen police:
• A two-vehicle crash injured two people Tuesday at U.S. 33 and College Avenue.
The mishap occurred around 6:19 p.m. Goshen police said Fany Hernandez, 42, Goshen, was driving a 2004 Nissan Maxima and failed to yield the right of way at the intersection. The Nissan was struck by a 2003 Volkswagen Passat driven by Juan Reyes, 40, Goshen.
Reyes suffered neck pain as a result of the crash and a passenger in the Passat, Andreas Humley, 12, Goshen, suffered pain in the stomach area. Both were transported by ambulance to the hospital.
According to the driver’s statement to police, Hernandez couldn’t see the traffic light due to the sun but thought the light was green.
• A driver was hurt in a two-vehicle collision Monday around 4:30 p.m. on U.S. 33 east of Sixth Street.
Goshen police said a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta driven by Stephen D. Miller, 41, Goshen, struck the rear of a 2003 Dodge Caravan driven by Martin Martinez-Rojas, 61, Goshen.
A passenger in the Jetta, Aaron Graber, 25, Goshen, suffered neck pain as a result of the crash but refused medical treatment.