THE GOSHEN NEWS
---- — Two Elkhart women were killed in a two-vehicle collision on the C.R. 5 overpass crossing the Indiana Toll Road at 8:15 a.m. Friday.
According to Elkhart County police, Dawn C. Leatherman, 47, Elkhart, was driving her vehicle northbound on C.R. 5, just north of Jami Street, when she drove onto the C.R. 5 overpass and began to slide on the ice-covered roadway.
Leatherman’s vehicle reportedly slid left of the roadway’s center line and into the southbound lane, striking a second vehicle heading southbound on C.R. 5. A passenger in Leatherman’s vehicle, Alice J. Barnes, 70, Elkhart, was pronounced dead at the scene by medics. Leatherman was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for treatment, where she later died of her injuries.
The driver of the second vehicle, Ryan D. Eull, 32, Niles, Mich., was uninjured in the crash. The Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department Crash Investigation Team responded to the scene and is investigating the crash.
• Jack Kozloski of Evergreen Manufactured Homes, Shipshewana, told Goshen police he noticed someone had stolen a wooden deck from the company’s rental property at 400 Winchester Trails, Goshen, at 1 a.m. Oct. 1.
• Randy Richards, 1013 S. Main St., Goshen, told Goshen police his home was burglarized at 6 a.m. Thursday.
• Mark Potuck, 810 S. Seventh St., Goshen, told Goshen police his garage was burglarized at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Casey A. Keene, 12698 Ind. 120, Middlebury, told Elkhart County police he found about 25 feet of large gauge wire concealed on his property at noon Oct. 16.
• Jason Bontrager, 72833 C.R. 29, Syracuse, told Elkhart County police his residence has been burglarized twice between Oct. 14 and Monday. He reported electronics, change and a safe taken.
• Eric McCullough, 58711 Dunstin Ct., Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone stole his Apple iPad between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday.
• An employee of Ramirez Salvage, 828 E. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, reported a phone scam to Goshen police at 10:40 a.m. Thursday involving a caller claiming to be an employee of NIPSCO who demanded money.
• Henry Hernandez, 4042 Shawnee Drive, Goshen, told Elkhart County police he was harassed by phone between 4 and 4:45 p.m. Thursday by unknown subjects.
• Robert Gordon, 63, 15345 U.S. 6, Syracuse, was arrested by Elkhart County police at 12:32 a.m. Friday at his residence on charges of battery and resisting law enforcement. He was booked into the county jail.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Matthew James, Goshen, told Goshen police he noticed someone driving on the lawn of First Assembly Church, 1706 West Plains Drive, Goshen, at 10 p.m. Wednesday.
• Eric P. Haskett, 57125 C.R. 19, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone struck his mailbox with a vehicle before fleeing the scene between 5:15 and 7:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• Jeffrey J. Wood, 21353 Echo East Lane, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone removed a basketball stand from his property between midnight and 7 a.m. Sunday and threw it into the yard of his neighbor.
• Read T. Morrison, 21745 Hoosier Place, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone spray painted graffiti on his house between midnight and 5:30 a.m. Thursday. Morrison noted that four other homes in the Pheasant Ridge subdivision also suffered graffiti damage during the same time period.
• A corrections officer with Elkhart County Community Corrections, 201 N. Cottage Ave., Goshen, reported finding possible synthetic marijuana while performing a random bunk search of an inmate at the facility at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.