Personnel from 40 fire departments battled a fire in rural LaGrange County Saturday and Sunday.
Mongo volunteer firefighters were dispatched at 8:15 p.m. Saturday to a report of a fire at the former Campbell’s Mushroom Farm, 8125 E. 600 North, Howe. LaGrange County police said firefighters arrived at the scene at 8:29 p.m. and found fire burning through the roof at the 330,000-square-foot building.
Due to the fire being in a rural location, police reported, water had to be brought to the scene via tanker trucks from various locations.
Firefighters from 40 departments helped battle the blaze, including crews from LaGrange, Steuben, DeKalb and Noble counties in Indiana, and St. Joseph and Branch counties in Michigan.
Police said fire crews were still at the scene as of 10:45 a.m. Sunday. No injuries had been reported as of that time.
• Jacob Loewen told Goshen police several items were taken from his garage at 419 S. Seventh St. from May 1 to September.
• Miguel Sandoval, 437 N. First St., reported a burglary at his home to Goshen police Saturday.
• Angel Fitzgerald, 560 Brookside Manor, told Goshen police Friday that someone entered her home and moved items around.
Police shoot deer
Goshen police were called to the 2100 block of Lincolnway East after a vehicle struck a deer around 9:14 p.m. Saturday. Police said the deer was unable to move but still breathing. Police then shot the animal.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Ashley Wood of Goshen told Goshen police Sunday that someone damaged the rear windshield of her 2006 Chevrolet Malibu while it was in the parking lot of 4568 Elkhart Road.
• Howard Davis of Goshen told Goshen police Saturday that someone damaged his vehicle at 122 Winchester Trails.
• Michael Schmucker of Goshen told Goshen police Friday that someone vandalized the rear driver’s side tire on his 1993 Toyota Camry while it was parked at Gleason Industrial Products, 612 E. Reynolds St.
• Jeremy Byler, 2509 W. Wilden Ave., told Goshen police Friday that someone damaged several window screens at his residence.
• Claudia R. Hethcote, 26, 1111 S. 12th St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 3:38 a.m. Sunday in the 2000 block of Lincolnway East. She was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.