THE GOSHEN NEWS
A 74-year-old Elkhart woman told Elkhart County police Tuesday she fell victim to a lottery scam that cost her a total of $20,700.
The woman told police she sent various sums of money since July 29 to locations in Texas and Jamaica. She did so with the belief that she was paying the tax on lottery winnings, and would receive $2.5 million after paying off the taxes.
• A bicyclist was hurt in a crash Tuesday at the intersection of Lincoln and Chicago avenues in Goshen.
The mishap occurred around 10:42 a.m. Goshen police said bicyclist Jessica Jefferies, 18, Goshen, rode into the side of a 1999 Ford Econoline van driven by Marilyn Skaggs, Shipshewana.
Jefferies suffered back pain as a result of the collision.
• Martin V. Maldonado, 26, 1723 Bashor Road, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police Thursday after allegedly trying to shoplift at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, around 2:30 a.m. Maldonado was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• Karen Hoover of Goshen told Goshen police Wednesday that someone took jewelry from her mother’s nursing home room at 2400 College Ave.
• Daisy Adkins told Goshen police Wednesday that a tire was stolen from her yard at 307 S. Seventh St.
• Stephanie Rossi of Goshen told city police Wednesday that someone stole her bicycle. The theft occurred at 111 N. Indiana Ave.
• Angelica Zamora, owner of Imagen Latina Salon, 514 Lincolnway East, told Goshen police that a customer passed a counterfeit $50 bill at the business Wednesday.
• A 28-year-old Goshen man told city police that someone tried to strike him with a bottle after a road rage incident Wednesday. The encounter took place around 3:44 p.m. The man told police the bottle missed him but damaged his vehicle, which was in the parking lot at Chalet Party Shoppe, 2703 Caragana Court.
• Somprasith P. Bounphisai, 33, 501 Grand St., Ligonier, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 2300 block of Lincolnway East. He was taken into custody on a charge of possession of methamphetamine precursors and transported to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Travis James Miller, 32, 702 E. Hively, Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop around 9 p.m. on C.R. 17 at the U.S. 20 Bypass. Police said the motorcyclist had been traveling at an excessive speed. Miller was arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and reckless driving.