An Elkhart man was held on several charges early Monday after a high—speed chase with police.
Arrested was Arturo Vasquez-Oviedo, 19, 2801 Toledo Road.
The incident began around 1:20 a.m. as Middlebury police officer Gary Smith reported seeing a 2006 Ford Mustang Convertible headed south on C.R. 17, north of C.R. 45.
Smith reported the vehicle was traveling 98 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone.
The officer attempted to catch up to and stop the vehicle, but the driver — later determined by police to be Vasquez-Oviedo — failed to stop.
Officer Smith pursued the vehicle. Vasquez-Oviedo allegedly drove through Brookside mobile home park, later heading north on old C.R. 17.
Police said the convertible left the road after passing Ind. 119.
The car went through a fence, down an embankment and into a body of water in a field. Vasquez-Oviedo and a passenger allegedly fled from the vehicle, but were apprehended by Goshen police officers.
Vasquez-Oviedo was arrested on a felony charge of resisting law enforcement.
He was also taken into custody on charges including operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and illegal consumption of an alcoholic beverage. Police said Vasquez-Oviedo had a blood alcohol content of .19 percent.
Elkhart County police and the Elkhart County coroner are investigating the cause of a young man found dead near Bristol.
Dead is Frederick Sturdivant, 18.
Around 1:48 p.m. Thursday, emergency personnel were called to 53586 C.R. 27, Bristol, regarding a young male who was unconscious and not breathing. Sturdivant was pronounced dead at the scene, police reported.
Coroner John White said an autopsy on Sturdivant was performed Friday. White said no biological reason was found for Sturdivant’s death.
“Nothing we could see that caused him to die,” White said Monday. Authorities are awaiting toxicology reports.
A 2-year-old girl fell from a two-story window at Arbor Ridge Apartments in Goshen Friday around 10:30 p.m.
Police reported that the child appeared to only suffer from some scratches. However, she was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital to be evaluated.
Police said a parent was home at the time the child fell.
The Department of Child Services and Goshen police are investigating the incident.
• Two people were injured when the mo-ped they were riding collided with the rear of a buggy near Shipshewana Friday.
The crash occurred at 4:37 p.m. at 7155 C.R. W. 250 North. LaGrange County police reported that a mo-ped operated by Gregory Littlefield of Fort Wayne struck the right rear wheel of an eastbound buggy.
Littlefield and a passenger, Tiffany Littlefield of Fort Wayne, were ejected off the mo-ped in the crash.
Police said Gregory Littlefield suffered a facial injury, and Tiffany Littlefield suffered leg pain.
• Jeremy Davidhizar, 62331 C.R. 11, Goshen, reported a burglary in progress to Elkhart County police around noon Thursday. Davidhizar, who wasn’t home at the time, was notified by an alarm company. A jewelry case and its contents were stolen.
• Dreama Espinoza, 50993 C.R. 19, Bristol, told Elkhart County police that someone took a cast iron pedal grinding stone from her front yard sometime between 9 p.m. March 26 and around 2 p.m. Thursday.
• Roger Peachey, 21654 C.R. 45, Goshen, told Elkhart County police that someone broke into his home and stole jewelry and a firearm between 6 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
• Jeffrey A. Hoogenboom told Elkhart County police his garage at 50684 Indian Lake Road, Bristol, was burglarized between 8 a.m. March 23 and 8 a.m. March 26. Tools were stolen, according to the police report, and it also appears that whoever committed the burglary also manufactured methamphetamine in the garage.
• Kalaine Fields told Goshen police that during the weekend someone entered her car while it was parked in front of 416 N. Seventh St. and took $20.
• Andrea C. Young of Goshen reported to Goshen police a recent unauthorized withdrawal from her Interra Credit Union Account.
• Barbara Castenada, 611 Stevens Court, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole tanning lotion from her residence Monday.
A passerby told Elkhart County police he found three guns in a ditch along C.R. 15, north of C.R. 40 near Goshen, around 8 a.m. Saturday. One of the firearms was stolen out of Eaton County, Michigan, police reported.
• Elkhart County police arrested a Goshen man who allegedly battered a police officer Saturday night.
Police arrested Kevin Hochstetler, 29 at 1611 S. 14th St., Goshen, at 7:50 p.m. Hochstetler had reportedly not returned to the county work release center Thursday. Authorities alleged that while Hochtetler was being arrested, he battered a police officer. The officer was uninjured.
• Michael Richardson of Goshen told Goshen police that someone egged and spray-painted his vehicle while it was parked at 307 Yorktown Drive Monday.
The following motorists were recently arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Romon Luis-Ramos, 42, 313 E. Washington St., Apt. 3, Goshen, was arrested after a traffic stop by Elkhart County police at 3:11 a.m. Saturday on U.S. 33 at U.S. 20. In addition to the OWI charge, he was jailed on charges including having counterfeit identification and driving without having an operator’s license.
• Marty Beard, 52, 16606 C.R. 14, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop at 3:23 a.m. in the area of Ind. 4 and C.R. 29.
• Juan Castillo-Aguilar, 22, 209 N. Eighth St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after an alleged hit-and-run crash around 4 p.m. Sunday in the 200 block of North Eighth Street. In addition to the OWI, Castillo-Aguilar was jailed on charges including leaving the scene of a property damage crash and driving without ever obtaining an operator’s license.
• Two Bristol men were arrested on drug-related charges Saturday.
Around 5:47 p.m., Elkhart County police were called to the home of Cody Welty, 19, 51240 C.R. 33, regarding a suspicious vehicle. Police reportedly found Welty and Cody Hyman, 19, 51467 C.R. 33, to be in possession of marijuana.
Welty was incarcerated on a Class D felony charge of possession of marijuana. Hyman was jailed on a Class D felony charge of possession of marijuana with intent to deliver.
• Elkhart County police said Jordan Dobson, 23, 106 Depot St., Apt. A, Millersburg, was found to have marijuana and pipes at his residence around 11:15 p.m. Thursday. Dobson was incarcerated on a Class D felony charge of marijuana possession and a misdemeanor charge of possession of paraphernalia.
• Two juveniles were found to be drinking alcoholic beverages early Friday morning in the 16000 block of Prairie Rose Avenue in Goshen. They were referred to juvenile court and released to their parents, Elkhart County police reported.
• Stephen Rankin of Middlebury told Elkhart County police he found items from a meth lab along C.R. 43 north of U.S. 20 around 12:50 p.m. Sunday.
• Gustavo Castillo-Luevano, 22, 1816 Tiffany Court, Goshen, was arrested after a traffic stop by Elkhart County police shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday at Ind. 15 and C.R. 38. He was incarcerated on a charge of driving while never receiving a valid operator’s license.
• Daniel R. Goff, 26, 14 Sunrise Drive, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop in the 4500 block of Elkhart Road around 11:30 a.m. Sunday. Goff was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail on a charge of driving while being a habitual traffic violator.
An Elkhart man was held on several charges early Monday after a high—speed chase with police.
- Police News
- Three Concord firefighters suspended for mishandling drugs Concord Township firefighters Don Mansell, Bill Creedon and Jon Simmons were accused by Concord Township Trustee Mark Grabill with the failure to follow the Concord Township Fire Department’s protocol regarding proper tag removal on narcotics boxes.
- Police News: April 17, 2014 A one-vehicle crash injured two men — one critically — south of Leesburg Tuesday.
Six injured in crash northwest of Wakarusa
A two-vehicle crash injured six people north of Wakarusa Tuesday.
The mishap occurred around 7:20 a.m. at the intersection of C.R.s 1 and 26.
Driver critically injured in Kosciusko County crash
A one-vehicle crash injured two men — one critically — south of Leesburg Tuesday.
The mishap occurred on C.R. 150 West just south of C.R. 400 North around 5 p.m.
- Man gets 80 years for threat on wife An Elkhart man who threatened to set his wife on fire has been sentenced to 80 years in prison.
- Police news: Several arrested on charges of drunken driving • Lori L. Ellis, 48, 12778 N. 300 East, Syracuse, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of driving while intoxicated at 1:35 a.m. Sunday. Ellis was stopped for a traffic stop at Dierdorff and Kercher Roads in Goshen for driving left of center and transported to the Elkhart County jail.
- Police/Rescue News: April 13, 2014 Area police made several arrests recently.
Goshen firefighters battle blaze at Brookside Manor
Goshen firefighters battled a blaze at a home in Brookside Manor Mobile Home Park this morning.
The residence is located along Orchid Avenue in the park on Goshen's northwest side.
- Police respond to report of stolen tools GOSHEN -- A man was taken to a mental health facility after police responded to threats he made to harm himself and others. Goshen police blocked off Fifth Street between Madison and Jefferson Friday afternoon. For public safety reasons, other resid
- Sweepstakes phone scam reported Elkhart County Sheriff’s deputies are receiving multiple reports of a phone scam where the caller reports to be from Publisher’s Clearing House.
- More Police News Headlines