THE GOSHEN NEWS
---- — A driver was hurt in a one-vehicle crash around 11 p.m. Tuesday along C.R. 38 west of Ind. 15.
Elkhart County police said Jose Camacho, 59, Elkhart, was driving a 1999 Chevrolet Venture minivan when the crash occurred. Police said Camacho was stopped in the parking lot of Kercher’s Sunrise Orchards facing north. He began to accelerate and turn west, and the minivan struck a utility on the north edge of the parking lot.
Camacho suffered facial lacerations and shoulder pain and was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment.
• An employee at Entech Inc., Middlebury, reported fraudulent activity on a company checking account to Elkhart County police Friday. A total of $276.92 was taken from the account, according to the police report.
• David Stump of Goshen told Goshen police Monday that someone entered his 2008 Toyota Sienna and took items from inside. The Theft occurred while the vehicle was parked at 319 S. Sixth St.
• Carolyn Royer of Goshen reported fraudulent activity on her bank checking account to Goshen police Monday.
• Jessica Fireline, 30, 52738 Yorkshire Drive, Middlebury, was arrested by Goshen police after she allegedly tried to shoplift items Monday at Walmart, 4024 Elkhart Road. She was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Carol Stone told Goshen police Monday that someone stole her son’s snowboard and helmet from her garage at 2912 Saybrook Drive.
• Catherine Beal, 35, and Brittany Billups, 23, both of 801 Princeton St., Elkhart, were arrested by Goshen police after allegedly trying to shoplift at Martin’s Super Market, 1527 Bashor Road, Monday. They were released on a memorandum to appear in Goshen City Court.
• Staff at Greencroft, 1721 Greencroft Drive, told Goshen police Tuesday that a burglary had occurred at the facility.
• Zachary S. Bean of Goshen told Goshen police Tuesday that someone stole a laptop computer from his vehicle while the automobile was parked at Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East.
Police investigateteen’s homicide
Elkhart city police are continuing to investigate a shooting that claimed the life of a teenager Monday afternoon.
A police spokesman said that Devonte J. Patrick, 18, Elkhart, was killed in the shooting, which took place around 2:45 p.m. in the 1300 block of Prairie Street.
The spokesman said Tuesday afternoon he didn’t believe an arrest had been made in connection to the slaying.
• Kimberly Cassidy, 44, 208 W. Douglas St. Apt. 2, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 1:05 a.m. Sunday at Main and Madison streets. She was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail on a charge of possession of a controlled substance.
• Around 1:17 a.m. Saturday, Elkhart County police stopped driver Clayton Quantz, 19, on Ind. 19 south of Woodview Drive in Nappanee for a traffic infraction. Quantz and a passenger, Cody Collins, 18, were subsequently cited and released on a charge of illegal consumption of alcoholic beverages.
Goshen police Deangelo C. Ulis, 907 Prairie St., Apt. 1, Elkhart, on a charge of intimidation Tuesday. Ulis allegedly threatened an employee of Oaklawn, 330 Lakeview Drive, while in the presence of police officers. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Goshen police said a 16-year-old boy was arrested for a curfew violation and on a charge possession of marijuana early Wednesday morning in the 200 block of South Cottage Avenue. The police report lists the time of the incident as 2:38 a.m. The boy was released to his parent.
Goshen police reported that a loose Rottweiler, or mix, wearing a studded collar was found in the 800 block of East Douglas Street Monday afternoon. The animal was taken to the Elkhart County Humane Society.
Goshen police reported that Mitchell L. Davidson, 18, 58486 Randy Drive, Goshen, and Trina Witte, 18, 64291 Pleasant Plain Drive, Goshen, were arrested in the parking lot at 803 Linway Drive Monday on charges of public indecency. There were incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
The following motorists were recently arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Nelson D. Sanchez-Cruz, 21, 54152 Ash Road Lot 287, Osceola, was arrested by Elkhart County police Friday afternoon after a motor vehicle crash at Ind. 120 and C.R. 21. Sanchez-Cruz was treated for minor injuries at Elkhart General Hospital and then incarcerated on charges of OWI and driving while never receiving a driver’s license.
• Miguel Ruiz, 35, homeless, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop around 12:12 a.m. Saturday at Dushane Avenue and U.S. 33. In addition to the OWI, Ruiz was also arrested on charges of false informing, driving while his driving privileges were suspended, an on a warrant for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• John M. Brewster, 41, 500 S. Main St., Ligonier, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop around 11:12 p.m. Friday on U.S. 20 east of C.R. 29, Middlebury. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Willman D. Ariza, 22, 705 Christian Ave., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop in the 3000 block of Elkhart Road around 11:14 p.m. Monday. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Susan Compton, 49, 1323 S. Eighth St., Apt. 5, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 3:37 p.m. Tuesday in the area of Lincoln and Denver avenues. She was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.