Driver hurt in SUV crash
A Goshen woman was injured Sunday when her vehicle slammed into a concrete barrier.
Goshen police said the collision occurred at 4:09 p.m. on the Ind. 15 overpass north of U.S. 33. A 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer driven by Maria Ortega Serna, 18, Goshen, was headed south when it struck the barrier. The crash caused the vehicle to turn over onto its passenger side.
Serna suffered facial lacerations as a result of the collision, according to police. She was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment.
Standoff ends peaceably
An hour-and-a-half long police standoff at a gas station ended peaceably Tuesday at approximately 4:53 a.m.
According to Elkhart County police, officers responded to the parking lot of the Speedway Gas Station, 57766 Ind. 19 in reference to a suicidal man who was inside a vehicle armed with a handgun. Marc McGuffy, 24, Elkhart, was later taken into custody.
McGuffy was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for a 24-hour psychiatric evaluation. Elkhart city police assisted during the incident.
Goshen man hurt in
A Goshen man suffered minor injuries in a collision at 7:08 p.m. Monday, a mile-and-a-half west of city limits of Goshen.
According to Elkhart County police, motorcyclist John Leatherman, 21, Goshen, was traveling eastbound on C.R. 38, west of C.R. 21. A second vehicle, driven by Keith Miller, 65, New Paris, was traveling eastbound on C.R. 38, west of C.R. 21 and towing two orange gravity grain bins.
Police indicated Leatherman’s motorcycle collided into the rear of the trailer.
Leatherman was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment of facial lacerations. No citations were issued.
• Craig Garber of Goshen told Elkhart County police someone burglarized his father’s home at 16379 C.R. 36. The burglary occurred between 4 p.m. Thursday and 1 p.m. Friday. A generator and mowing tractor were taken.
• Amber Weaver told Elkhart County police Friday that someone removed a bottle of prescription medication from 18440 C.R. 46, New Paris. The theft occurred between 10:16 a.m. Oct. 18 and 9:01 p.m. Oct. 19.
• Staffers at Sun Homes, 61108 C.R. 17, Goshen, told Elkhart County police an unknown person stole a gas flex line hose that was used for their main office. The theft occurred at approximately 6 p.m. Thursday
• Barbara Berkey of Goshen told Elkhart County police someone used her information to charge $338 in equipment to her Verizon wireless account Sept. 19 and 21. The equipment was picked up at the Verizon store, 505 W. Douglas Road, Mishawaka.
• Michael Blakesley of Bristol told Elkhart County police someone burglarized several barns on his deceased mother’s property at 52395 C.R. 29. Hand tools and scrap metal were taken. The burglary occurred between 6 p.m. Saturday and 6 p.m. Sunday, according to the police report.
• An employee with Bashor Children’s Home, 62226 C.R. 15, Goshen, told Elkhart County police a 17-year-old female and a 14-year-old, both residents, battered each other at approximately 2:15 p.m. Monday. One of the females sustained minor scratches to her face.
• A student at Goshen High School reported being battered by another student to Goshen police. The incident occurred around noon Monday.
• A Goshen man told city police that at approximately 8:40 a.m. Monday, while he was in the 1000 block of North Indiana Avenue, he was threatened by two young males.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Troy Dabney of Goshen told Elkhart County police damage to the women’s rest room door at Rogers Park, 102 Chicago Ave., Goshen, Monday.
• Jacqueline Miller, 512 S. Eighth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone broke the passenger side window on her van at approximately 3:28 p.m.
• David J. Burkholder, 20, 214 N. Eighth St., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County after a traffic stop at 11:05 p.m. Friday on C.R. 20 west of C.R. 3. He was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana, false informing, neglect of a dependant and on two warrants. Burkholder was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Brian Yoder, 19, and Mervin Miller, 19, no addresses given, were cited by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop at 1:55 a.m. on East County Line Road south of C.R. 40 near Millersburg. Yoder and Miller were cited on charges of illegal consumption of alcoholic beverages. Yoder was also cited on a charge of transportation of alcohol by a minor. They were released at the scene.
• Elkhart County police said they discovered an underage drinking party at 1613 S. Main St., Goshen, around 10:10 p.m. Friday. Police cited Michael Akiliu, 19, Kirshnam Ganesan, 20 and Vasanthkumar Palanisamy, 19, on charges of illegal consumption of alcoholic beverages. They were released at the scene.
Robert J. Fritz, 47, Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated after a one-vehicle crash at 4:24 p.m. Saturday.
The crash occurred on C.R. 18 west of C.R. 31 near Middlebury. Police said Fritz drove off the road into trees. In addition to the OWI charge, Fritz was also arrested on a charge of possession of marijuana.
Driver hurt in SUV crash
- Police News
- Police News for Dec. 12, 2013 A Syracuse man was arrested Wednesday after allegedly sending threatening letters to himself and others and misleading police. Jason Wilson, 40, 603 E. Pickwick Drive, was incarcerated in the Kosciusko County Jail on two Class D felony counts of inti
- Man pleads guilty to Elkhart store slayings An Elkhart man pleaded guilty to counts of murder Monday shortly before his trial was scheduled to begin.
Two hurt when vehicle collides with Goshen dental office
Two people were hurt when a vehicle crashed into Goshen Family Dentistry, 1625 Sunnyfield Drive, around 1:30 p.m. Monday.
Police raid party east of Goshen
Elkhart County police raided an underage drinking party shortly before 5 a.m. Sunday at 12061 C.R. 36 east of Goshen.
Poaching probe leads to arrests
LaGrange County police arrested two men following a traffic stop Saturday night in LaGrange County.
Two men arrested at park on indecency charges
Two men were arrested on charges of public indecency at an Elkhart County park and a third man is under investigation.
- Dog stolen from humane society Someone stole a dog from the Humane Society of Elkhart County, 54687 C.R. 19, Bristol this week.
- ASK THE SHERIFF: Can an officer stop a person for openly carrying a firearm? DEAR SHERIFF: Do officers have a right to stop/detain me merely because I openly carry a firearm? Can they ask me to display my handgun carry license? Do I need to carry my handgun license with me when I carry? ANSWER: In a prior column I addressed t
- Several thefts reported to police • Jesus Hernandez, 18, 213 Tanglewood Drive, told Goshen police someone tried to steal his mo-ped at his home Tuesday. The incident occurred around 5:30 p.m.
- POLICE NEWS: Millersburg convenience store clerk robbed at gunpoint A Millersburg clerk was robbed at gunpoint Monday night, police reported. Millersburg Town Marshal Keith Hathaway said the robbery occurred at 7:45 p.m. at Simars Convenience Store, 206 N. Benton St. (Ind. 13). Two white males entered the store and r
- More Police News Headlines