Driver hurt in SUV crash
A Goshen woman was injured Sunday when her vehicle slammed into a concrete barrier.
Goshen police said the collision occurred at 4:09 p.m. on the Ind. 15 overpass north of U.S. 33. A 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer driven by Maria Ortega Serna, 18, Goshen, was headed south when it struck the barrier. The crash caused the vehicle to turn over onto its passenger side.
Serna suffered facial lacerations as a result of the collision, according to police. She was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment.
Standoff ends peaceably
An hour-and-a-half long police standoff at a gas station ended peaceably Tuesday at approximately 4:53 a.m.
According to Elkhart County police, officers responded to the parking lot of the Speedway Gas Station, 57766 Ind. 19 in reference to a suicidal man who was inside a vehicle armed with a handgun. Marc McGuffy, 24, Elkhart, was later taken into custody.
McGuffy was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for a 24-hour psychiatric evaluation. Elkhart city police assisted during the incident.
Goshen man hurt in
A Goshen man suffered minor injuries in a collision at 7:08 p.m. Monday, a mile-and-a-half west of city limits of Goshen.
According to Elkhart County police, motorcyclist John Leatherman, 21, Goshen, was traveling eastbound on C.R. 38, west of C.R. 21. A second vehicle, driven by Keith Miller, 65, New Paris, was traveling eastbound on C.R. 38, west of C.R. 21 and towing two orange gravity grain bins.
Police indicated Leatherman’s motorcycle collided into the rear of the trailer.
Leatherman was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment of facial lacerations. No citations were issued.
• Craig Garber of Goshen told Elkhart County police someone burglarized his father’s home at 16379 C.R. 36. The burglary occurred between 4 p.m. Thursday and 1 p.m. Friday. A generator and mowing tractor were taken.
• Amber Weaver told Elkhart County police Friday that someone removed a bottle of prescription medication from 18440 C.R. 46, New Paris. The theft occurred between 10:16 a.m. Oct. 18 and 9:01 p.m. Oct. 19.
• Staffers at Sun Homes, 61108 C.R. 17, Goshen, told Elkhart County police an unknown person stole a gas flex line hose that was used for their main office. The theft occurred at approximately 6 p.m. Thursday
• Barbara Berkey of Goshen told Elkhart County police someone used her information to charge $338 in equipment to her Verizon wireless account Sept. 19 and 21. The equipment was picked up at the Verizon store, 505 W. Douglas Road, Mishawaka.
• Michael Blakesley of Bristol told Elkhart County police someone burglarized several barns on his deceased mother’s property at 52395 C.R. 29. Hand tools and scrap metal were taken. The burglary occurred between 6 p.m. Saturday and 6 p.m. Sunday, according to the police report.
• An employee with Bashor Children’s Home, 62226 C.R. 15, Goshen, told Elkhart County police a 17-year-old female and a 14-year-old, both residents, battered each other at approximately 2:15 p.m. Monday. One of the females sustained minor scratches to her face.
• A student at Goshen High School reported being battered by another student to Goshen police. The incident occurred around noon Monday.
• A Goshen man told city police that at approximately 8:40 a.m. Monday, while he was in the 1000 block of North Indiana Avenue, he was threatened by two young males.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Troy Dabney of Goshen told Elkhart County police damage to the women’s rest room door at Rogers Park, 102 Chicago Ave., Goshen, Monday.
• Jacqueline Miller, 512 S. Eighth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone broke the passenger side window on her van at approximately 3:28 p.m.
• David J. Burkholder, 20, 214 N. Eighth St., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County after a traffic stop at 11:05 p.m. Friday on C.R. 20 west of C.R. 3. He was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana, false informing, neglect of a dependant and on two warrants. Burkholder was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Brian Yoder, 19, and Mervin Miller, 19, no addresses given, were cited by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop at 1:55 a.m. on East County Line Road south of C.R. 40 near Millersburg. Yoder and Miller were cited on charges of illegal consumption of alcoholic beverages. Yoder was also cited on a charge of transportation of alcohol by a minor. They were released at the scene.
• Elkhart County police said they discovered an underage drinking party at 1613 S. Main St., Goshen, around 10:10 p.m. Friday. Police cited Michael Akiliu, 19, Kirshnam Ganesan, 20 and Vasanthkumar Palanisamy, 19, on charges of illegal consumption of alcoholic beverages. They were released at the scene.
Robert J. Fritz, 47, Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated after a one-vehicle crash at 4:24 p.m. Saturday.
The crash occurred on C.R. 18 west of C.R. 31 near Middlebury. Police said Fritz drove off the road into trees. In addition to the OWI charge, Fritz was also arrested on a charge of possession of marijuana.
Driver hurt in SUV crash
- Police News
- 2 Elkhart County work release escapees reported Two Goshen men have been listed as escapees from the Elkhart County Work Release Center in Goshen.Elkhart County police reported Tuesday that John A. Eller, 48, was reported as an escapee at 9:30 a.m. Saturday. Thomas M. Moser, 35, was reported as an
- Two drivers injured in crash A collision Monday injured two drivers in Goshen, according to Goshen police.
- POLICE NEWS FOR JULY 28, 2014: Children injured in crash Two children and an adult were taken to a local hospital Sunday with minor injuries after a two-vehicle crash near the intersection of C.R. 17 and C.R. 18, east of Elkhart.Judy K. Buckmeier, 63, was southbound in a 2014 Buick Enclave carrying three p
- Police news for July 27, 2014 Drug-related arrestsA Middlebury man was arrested Friday morning on two drug-related charges and driving with a suspended license. According to Goshen police, Martin Brown, 26, was stopped at 6:10 a.m. for failing to signal within 200 feet of a turn
- Elkhart man arrested after hitting utility pole A 2007 Lincoln MKZ driven by Robert Maxey, 25, Elkhart, was eastbound on C.R. 4, east of C.R. 5 near Elkhart. According to Elkhart County police, the vehicle ran off the roadway and struck a utility pole at 12:27 a.m. Friday. Maxey was transported to
- Abandoned animals removed from home Goshen police and Humane Society of Elkhart County officer Dan Scott were called to 416 N. Eighth Street in Goshen Thursday afternoon for abandoned animals in the unoccupied residence.
Police ask for public's help in identifying would-be robber
Elkhart County police have released still photos captured from video of the man who attempted to hold up Red D Mart gas station, 68310 Ind. 15, New Paris, on Saturday, July 19.
- POLICE NEWS FOR JULY 23: Police determine car fire at Linway Plaza was a suicide attempt Following a four-month investigation, Goshen police determined that a car fire in the Linway Plaza parking lot on March 19 was an attempted suicide.According to Goshen police, William J. Tully was inside a car that caught fire at 12:11 p.m. March 19
- LaGrange man airlifted from scene of crash A motorcyclist was seriously injured in a crash at Ind. 13 and C.R. 34 at 1:48 p.m. Tuesday. Terry Fry, 44, LaGrange, was airlifted by MedFlight from the scene. Elkhart County police said he was taken to South Bend Memorial Hospital with fractures to
Suspicious blinking package with battery pack causes police to evacuate business area
A package with a battery pack and a blinking red light found on the desk of an employee at MSC, 28551 Laura Court, Elkhart, caused police and firefighters to evacuate the area this morning.
The package turned out to be a GPS tracking device and not a bomb.
- More Police News Headlines