THE GOSHEN NEWS
---- — An Elkhart Circuit Court jury found an Elkhart man guilty of murder Wednesday.
Leeshawn Rodgers, 20, formerly of Concord Avenue, was convicted of the April 2013 shooting death of Eddie Johnson. The slaying took place in the area of Cleveland Avenue and Sixth Street in Elkhart.
The murder trial began Monday. Jurors left the courtroom to begin their deliberations shortly before noon Wednesday. Circuit Court Judge Terry Shewmaker read the verdict around 1:35 p.m.
As security officers led Rodgers out of the courtroom, the young man turned and waved to a group of people in the audience section.
Judge Shewmaker set a sentencing date of March 13.
• Wanda J. Buck of Middlebury told Elkhart County police that someone used her debit card without permission between Jan. 28 and Saturday.
• Michelle Eldridge told Goshen police Tuesday that someone stole her daughter’s backpack and its contents at Goshen High School, 401 Lincolnway East.
• April Price-Marko of Goshen told Goshen police Tuesday that her cell phone was stolen at Lippert Components, 1011 Eisenhower Drive South.
Refusal to leave
• Tom M. Moser III, 34, 1005 S. Third St., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police after he allegedly refused to leave the Goshen College Music Center Tuesday evening. Moser was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
The following motorists were arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• David Taylor, 53, 21453 Cheri Lane, Bristol, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop around 10:30 p.m. Saturday on C.R. 10 west of C.R. 17. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Elkhart County police said an 18-year-old male was found to be in possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia at Northridge High School, 56779 Northridge Drive, Middlebury, around 3:40 p.m. Monday.
• Elkhart County police said Nicholas Myers, 18, and Jared Troyer, both of Middlebury, were found to have consumed alcoholic beverages on C.R. 18 east of C.R. after their vehicle was reported as abandoned in the roadway. The police report lists the time of the incident as around 11:30 p.m. Saturday. Myers was jailed on a warrant and cited for illegal consumption of an alcoholic beverage. Troyer was cited and released, police said.
Fire under bridge
Goshen police were called to the 100 block of Crescent Street around 4:16 a.m. Wednesday to a report of a possible fire under the bridge. Officers discovered that a fire had been started with wood and brush. Goshen firefighters