A Warsaw man was charged for selling wildlife on Craigslist in Kosciusko County.
Indiana Conservation Officers charged Matthew M. Kerkhoff, 21, Warsaw, for selling a badger on Craigslist after receiving a tip on the 1.800.TIP.IDNR hotline. Indiana Conservation Officer Nick Vander Molen received the TIP (Turn In a Poacher) case and subsequently investigated the allegations against Kerkhoff.
It is unlawful to sell or possess protected species such as badgers, bobcats, or river otters without the proper permit from Indiana or another state. Kerkhoff sold a taxidermy mount badger. The TIP program offers rewards for information leading to the arrest of any person violating fish and wildlife laws.
Kerkhoff now faces preliminary charges of unlawful possession of wildlife and unlawful sale of wildlife which are both C misdemeanors.
Theft/burglary reports and arrests
• Martin Diaz, 1504 W. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, reported an unlawful entry and destruction of property at his residence to Goshen police at 8 a.m. Tuesday.
• Lucy Reyes, 917 S. Twelfth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone entered her residence without permission and stole two XBox 360 game consoles at 11 a.m. Tuesday.
• Timothy Holmes, 18524 C.R. 23, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone stole electronics, jewelry and auto parts from his residence between 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday.
• Guadalupe Zepeda of Elkhart told Goshen police someone stole her purse while she was inside the Goshen Public Library, 601 S. Fifth St., Goshen, at 5:10 p.m. Tuesday.
• Sofia Gallegos, 36, 66164 Chamfers Lane, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Wal-Mart Supercenter, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, at 4:24 p.m. Tuesday. She was released at the scene with a memorandum to appear in Goshen City Court.
• Holly M. Wenger, 21, 3115 Kelsey Ave., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Kohl’s Department Store, 3802 Midway Road, Goshen, at 4:13 p.m. Tuesday. She was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Sylvester Anderson, 21, 9101 W. Ind. 2, LaPorte; Marek Konioczny, 27, 502 Park St., LaPorte; and Justin Laine, 24, 213 Darlington St., LaPorte, were arrested by Goshen police on charges of theft at Wal-Mart Supercenter, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, at 8:56 p.m. Tuesday. They were released with a memorandum to appear in Goshen City Court.
• Holly M. Wenger, 21, 3115 Kelsey Ave., Elkhart, was arrested for theft by Goshen police at MC Sporting Goods, 4024 Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Identity deception reports
• Hector Morraz of Goshen told Goshen police Tuesday someone in the United States is claiming his daughter’s identity as a dependent.
• Scott D. Denman Jr., 25, 19 Roxbury Park, Goshen, was stopped by Elkhart County police for a seatbelt violation on U.S. 33 at C.R. 13 in Elkhart at 4:59 p.m. Tuesday. Denman was arrested for a Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department warrant and a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia. A passenger, Joshua Ryan Branch, 26, 233 Roxbury Park, Elkhart, was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. Both men were incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.