FROM STAFF AND WIRE
Kosciusko County police and the coroner have identified the female pedestrian who was struck Tuesday morning by a train near Lake Wawasee.
Killed was 15-year-old Kalee Nicole Skaggs of Cromwell. She was a freshman at Wawasee High School.
According to Kosciusko County deputies, at 2:40 a.m. Tuesday, a CSX train struck the girl, who was pronounced dead at the scene of blunt force trauma.
Officers said that Skaggs was reportedly walking across the CSX railroad crossing on C.R. 1000 North, just south of C.R. 1250.
Skaggs’ death remains under investigation.
Body may be missing LaGrange County woman
Authorities in southeastern Michigan say they’re investigating whether a body found near a farmer’s field belongs to a 58-year-old Indiana woman who disappeared eight weeks ago after a trip to Ohio.
Michigan’s Lenawee County sheriff’s department said experts would examine dental records Tuesday to see if the body is that of Catherine Sackrider of Wall Lake in northeast LaGrange County.
Authorities say she was last seen Sept. 18 after visiting her daughter in Sylvania, Ohio. Sackrider’s pickup truck was found in the Toledo suburb Sept. 25.
Sheriff Jack Welsh told The Daily Telegram of Adrian, Mich., that a farmer spreading lime on a corn field In Palmyra Township spotted the body Friday near an unused barn. Welsh says the body lacked identification.
He says foul play is suspected but isn’t releasing details.
Crash injures driver
A two-vehicle crash injured a driver Saturday at the intersection of C.R. 38 and Ind. 19.
Elkhart County police said the crash occurred at 8:54 a.m.
A GMC Sierra driven by Delbert Bemiller, 83, Goshen, collided with a 2001 Nissan Altima driven by Kalie Paston, 22, Elkhart. Bemiller’s vehicle overturned and landed on its top. Bemiller was treated at the scene by Wakarusa medics for a small cut to the head. He was cited by police for failure to yield the right of way.
A Goshen motorcyclist was injured at 2:20 p.m. Saturday in a collision with a deer
According to Elkhart County police, a deer ran across C.R. 126, west of Fawn River Court, Goshen in front of motorcyclist Anthony Folker, Goshen. Folker suffered lacerations to the head, left hand and a broken right shoulder as a result of the crash and was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital.
Customer found to
have medical condition
Goshen officers responded to a call of a belligerent customer in the Linway Theatre, 514 W. Lincoln Ave., Goshen at 9:45 p.m. Friday. Upon their arrival, it was determined that the person was suffering from a medical condition and not purposely acting out. The person was transported by Goshen ambulance to IU Health General Hospital for treatment.
Counterfeit bill found
• A store clerk of Lanes Fast Food Mart, 1010 W. Plymouth Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone passed a counterfeit $20 bill Nov. 3. The same individual reportedly returned to the store and attempted to do the same thing Friday at approximately 7 a.m.
Elkhart County police are reporting the escape of a work release inmate that occurred at approximately 8 p.m. Friday in Goshen.
According to Elkhart County police, Joseph Flores, 21, escaped from the Elkhart County work release facility, 201 N. Cottage Ave., Goshen, after jumping a fence Friday evening.
Flores could not be located after the escape, police said. The case remains under investigation.
Woman arrested on marijuana charge
A Syracuse man and woman were arrested Monday on preliminary charges of growing marijuana over 30 grams.
According to Syracuse police, officers discovered an indoor marijuana grow operation at 212 Edgewater Drive, Syracuse, while attempting to serve an arrest warrant on a person at the residence.
Police reported they were given permission to search the house and found several marijuana plants in pots being grown with incandescent lighting in a bedroom and closet within the residence. Officers also reportedly found cultivated marijuana in several glass jars. The officers then dismantled the grow operation and removed all items and plants as evidence.
Arrested were Paula Niles, 53, and Lester Niles, 60, both of 212 Edgewater Drive, Syracuse. Class D felony charges of growing marijuana over 30 grams are currently pending with the Kosciusko County Prosecutor’s Office.
Syracuse officers were assisted at the scene by the Indiana State Police marijuana eradication team.
• Cindy Loza, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a stereo system from a vehicle parked next to the maintenance building at the Roxbury park office on Post Road in Goshen Thursday.
• Karaline Hales-VanDiepenbos, New Paris, told Goshen police several items were stolen from a rental property at 412 Summit St., Goshen, at approximately 11:24 a.m. Sunday.
• Tammy Clark, Goshen, told Goshen police her temporary paper license plate was stolen from the rear of her vehicle at approximately 4 p.m. Saturday while parked at 2631 Ashton Pines Drive, Elkhart.
• Ty Cooper, Goshen, told Goshen police someone broke out the window of his vehicle and stole an in-dash CD player at 12:20 p.m. Sunday while his vehicle was parked at 2905 Ferndale Road, Goshen.
• Harvey Hansen, 2702 Elkhart Road, Goshen, reported the theft of items to Goshen police Thursday.
• Roy Ebersole III, 26, 212 Winchester Trails, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 12:30 p.m. at the intersection of Seventh and Washington streets on a charge of felony domestic battery in front of a child. He was booked into the county jail.
• Gorden Skinner, 23, 1103 S. Main St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 3:04 a.m. Sunday at 515 S. Main St. on a charge of domestic battery. He was booked into the county jail.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Clifford Stewart, 142 Tulip Blvd., Goshen, told Goshen police someone dumped trash in front of his residence and found a dent on his vehicle at approximately 1 a.m. Friday.
• Sharon F. Jackson, 1921 Bashor Road, Goshen, told Goshen police several items in her yard were broken at approximately 4 a.m. Saturday.
• Nathan Judd, 58680 Sun Valley Blvd., Goshen, told Elkhart County police a fence located on his property was damaged between noon Oct. 27 and 2 p.m. Saturday.
• Jose C. Maldonado-Morales, 24, 212 S. Silverwood Lane, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 4:57 p.m. Sunday at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Silverwood on a charge of driving a motor vehicle while his driver’s license was suspended. He was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• Shane M. Gorman, 26, 227 N. Fifth St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 3:58 p.m. Saturday at the intersection of Main Street and Lincoln Avenue on a charge of operating a motor vehicle with an expired temporary license plate. He was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• Maria D. Galindo, 22, 64335 Pleasant Plain Drive, Goshen, was arrested by Middlebury police at 3:19 a.m. on Ind. 13, just south of U.S. 20, on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. She was booked into the county jail.
• Thomas P. Hutchins, 32, 22432 Stillwater Court, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at 1:52 a.m. Sunday at the intersection of Beaver and Wilden on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. He was booked into the county jail.
• Stacey Gribbins, 42, 22386 C.R. 45, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police at 1:07 a.m. Sunday at the intersection of Ind. 13 and C.R. 38, Millersburg, on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. She was booked into the county jail.
• Raymond Graber, 1607 S. 11th St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated in the 1000 block Lincoln Way East and Plymouth in Goshen at 8:50 p.m. Friday. He was allegedly found to be a habitual traffic violator with a lifetime suspension. Graber refused the chemical breath test and taken to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Juston Mullet, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated after a traffic stop at 7:20 p.m. Friday. He was transported to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Vicente Sorto, 1533 S. Arnold St., South Bend, was stopped by Goshen police on a traffic stop at Elkhart Road and Reliance Road at 2:10 a.m. Saturday. He was arrested on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County Jail.