THE GOSHEN NEWS
Jefferson Township Fire Department received a call about a house fire at 60038 Ind. 15, Goshen, at approximately 5:45 p.m. Wednesday.
Lt. Marty Simmons said the back porch caught on fire and some of the siding was burned. The homeowner had the fire mostly extinguished by the time the fire department arrived. Simmons said firefighters put out a few hot spots on the interior of the house.
“We used the (thermal) imager to make sure the fire was out completely,” Simmons said. “We didn’t want to come back tonight.”
A male Goshen High School student reported his school issued laptop was stolen from his bookbag at approximately 4 p.m. Oct. 30. According to Goshen police, the laptop was left in a garage at 702 S. Eighth St., Goshen.
A female Goshen High School student told Goshen police her laptop was stolen from her school classroom at approximately 2 p.m. Monday after she stepped outside the classroom. There are no suspects and the investigation is ongoing.
• Jeremy Leman, 1101 West Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone attempted to burglarize his residence at approximately 1:23 a.m. Tuesday.
•Officials at Bashor Alternative School, 62226 C.R. 15, Goshen, told Elkhart County police a 14-year-old juvenile male struck a male teacher in the face with a closed fist. The teacher suffered swelling and pain. The teen was incarcerated at the Juvenile Detention Center for battery, according to police.
• Kimberly Hensley, 526 Van Gilst Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged her vehicle window that was parked in her driveway late Tuesday.
ATV collides with teen
A 15-year-old girl was injured when a malfunctioning accelerator on an ATV caused the machine to stand on two wheels and strike her in the face.
Martin Stepp, 37, Wakarusa, was attempting to move the 1999 Polaris ATV out of a shed at 26425 C.R. 42, Wakarusa, when the accident occurred. The malfunction caused the ATV to jerk forward and stand on its rear wheels. Mariah Stepp, 15, was momentarily pinned between the ATV and the shed. She had bleeding from her nose and pain to her face. She was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for evaluation.