THE GOSHEN NEWS
The Elkhart City bomb squad used a robot to dispose of a possible explosive device near C.R. 26, east of C.R. 21 in Goshen at 10:07 a.m. Sunday.
Elkhart County police received a call from a motorcyclist that spotted a bottle wrapped in black tape with a fuse attached to it. The Elkhart City Bomb Unit responded to the scene. Police stopped traffic near the intersection for approximately five minutes while the object was recovered. Officers could not immediately verify whether the device was an improvised bomb, a homemade firework or some other type of explosive device.
Police are asking if anybody has any information about this item or incident, to contact the Elkhart County police at 574-533-4151.
• A driver was injured in a two-vehicle crash at Ind. 120 and C.R. 17 in Elkhart Saturday. The collision occurred at 2:20 p.m. According to Elkhart County police, a 2008 Honda Civic driven by Ashley Lantz, 25, Goshen, collided into a 2003 Chevrolet Impala driven by Rebecca Goodison, 50, Middlebury in the intersection. Lantz was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for complaint of back pain and cited for failure to yield right of way at the intersection.
• Two people were injured in a two-vehicle collision at C.R. 17, south of Ind. 120 in Elkhart Saturday. The crash occurred at 3 p.m. Elkhart County police said a 1996 Ford F-150 driven by Thomas Erxleben, 68, Bristol, pulled out from a private drive in front of a 2001 Toyota Corolla driven by Karla Schwartz, 54, Elkhart. Schwartz was transported to Elkhart General Hospital compliant of pain to the lower back and chest. A passenger, Sandy Sherrin, 73, Elkhart, was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for complaint of pain to the head and neck. Erxleben was cited for failure to yield the right of way.
• Loss prevention employees at Supercenter Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole items at 5:15 p.m. Tuesday.
• Kayla Hunter, 512 Franklin St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole her purse while at Double D’s, 827 Lincolnway East, Goshen, at 3:18 a.m. Saturday.
• Kelsey Esler, 210 1/2 S. Tenth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole the interim license plate from her vehicle at 4:05 p.m. Saturday.
• Jeanne Liechty, 602 Gra-Roy Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole her bicycle around 1 p.m. Saturday.
• Barbara Fry, 1010 Reynolds St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole solar yard lights from her residence at 8 a.m. Saturday.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports, arrests
• Lucy Yoder, 114 S. Sixth St., Goshen, told Goshen police her vehicle was spray painted while parked in her driveway at 3 p.m. Wednesday.
• Jose Ruiz, 730 N. Hawthorne, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone damaged his vehicle by shooting it with a shotgun while it was parked in front of his residence between 11 p.m. Wednesday and 4:20 a.m. Thursday.
• Employees at Martin’s Supermarket, 1527 Bashor Road, Goshen, told Goshen police two boys entered the store and broke two gallons of milk and then left the store at 1:50 p.m. Thursday.
• Goshen police took a report about someone breaking the touch screen monitor to the Redbox video vending machine at 429 W. Pike St., Goshen, at 12:41 p.m. Friday.
• Brian Boggs of Middlebury told Goshen police someone damaged his vehicle while parked in the parking lot of Cequent Towing, 2600 College Ave., Goshen, at 7 a.m. Thursday.
• A 16-year-old was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of being incorrigible and criminal mischief at 227 Clarmont Court, Goshen, for damaging a flower pot at 1:53 p.m. Saturday. The 16-year-old was released to the care of her grandmother.
• A 16-year-old was arrested on a charge of never receiving a valid driver’s license by Goshen police and released to a parent after being stopped for a traffic violation in the 100 block of Chicago Ave., Goshen, at 1:05 a.m. Saturday.
• Joshua Coleman, 27, 127 Winchester Trails, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at his residence on charges of possession of marijuana, possession of methamphetamine, dealing methamphetamine, maintaining a common nuisance, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of precursors at 9:47 p.m. Thursday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• David L. Clark, 59, 52755 Yorkshire Drive, Middlebury, was arrested by Elkhart County police at 4:44 p.m. Wednesday at his residence on charges of manufacturing methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine and driving with a suspended driver’s license. He was booked into the county jail.
• Todd Vincent, 43, 15536 C.R. 44, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of possession of marijuana in the 200 block of South Seventh Street, Goshen, at 5:22 p.m. Saturday. He was released on a memorandum to appear in the Goshen City Court.
• Chalmos Mitchell Jr., 58, 108 S. Seventh St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of possession of marijuana and driving while suspended prior during a traffic stop at the intersection of Pike and Huron streets in Goshen at 6:07 p.m. Saturday. He was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Mildred Hernandez, 44, 115 N. Autumn Road, Rochester, N.Y., was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated in the 100 block of East Clinton Street, Goshen during a traffic stop at 2:05 a.m. Saturday. She was transported to the Elkhart County jail.