A STAFF REPORT
THE GOSHEN NEWS
Part of Goshen’s downtown area was evacuated for the second time in a week Friday.
Residents and business operators in the evacuated area were allowed to return around 6:20 p.m.
Initial reports of a natural gas leak in the 200 block of West Washington Street were made around 12:15 p.m. That’s the same area where a gas line rupture took place Tuesday.
According to Angie Nelson, a public affairs manager for Northern Indiana Public Service Co., what was initially believed to be another gas leak was actually leftover gas that was trapped underneath Washington Street from Tuesday’s leak.
“So they closed the street to try and release that gas,” Nelson said via phone. “As they were doing that, apparently they got some pretty high readings, so they decided to go ahead and evacuate a nearby building at 212 W. Washington St. (Goshen Farmers Market) for safety reasons.”
In addition to the Farmers Market property, Goshen firefighters at the scene indicated homes and businesses within 500 to 1,000 feet of the 200 block of West Washington were also being evacuated. Interra Credit Union was one of the affected businesses.
At approximately 5 p.m. Friday, Goshen Fire Department Battalion Chief Scott McDowell said gas levels were beginning to drop noticeably in the two nearby homes most affected by the remaining gas.