Goshen News, Goshen, IN

February 17, 2014

Deadly Milford fire ruled accidental

A STAFF REPORT
THE GOSHEN NEWS

MILFORD — A fire that claimed two lives in Milford last week has been ruled accidental.

Investigators say the blaze at Medina’s Body Shop, 310 N. Higbee St. (Ind. 15), originated in the ceiling of a work bay and spread throughout the building. Evidence at the scene indicates an electrical malfunction in the wiring supplying power to a ceiling light.

The ruling was issued after an investigation by staff with the Kosciusko County Fire Investigation Team and the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The Kosciusko County coroner has confirmed that Annalu Nunez, who lived at 310 N. Higbee, was one of the people killed in the blaze. She died of smoke inhalation.

The male body found by firefighters on the first floor of the building is presumed to be that of Jose Medina, also of 310 N. Higbee, according to the coroner’s office.

Medical examiners with the Northeast Indiana Forensic Center determined that the male also died of smoke inhalation. At this time, authorities are continuing the investigation as to the full and positive identification of Medina, pending DNA testing.