Community Thanksgiving services
• The Goshen Community Thanksgiving service, sponsored by the Goshen Ministerial Association, will once again be held at First English Lutheran Church, located at Fifth and Madison streets in Goshen. The worship service will be held on the night before Thanksgiving, Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
Pumpkin pie will be served by the people of First English following the worship service. Everyone is invited. For the offering, people are invited to bring canned goods and/or a monetary offering to help feed the hungry in the community. The church is handicap accessible.
• The community is invited to the 21st annual community Thanksgiving dinner Thursday at Goshen First United Methodist Church. There is no cost for the meal, which will be served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Delivery is available for those who are shut in by calling 534-3693. Transportation and carry-out meals will also be available. The church is located at 214 S. Fifth St. in Goshen.
• In Shipshewana, a free meal is being offered at New Life Fellowship church on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 22. Sit-down service along with a carry out option will be available from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the church. There will also be free meals for pick up from noon to 1 p.m. at the following sites: Yoder’s Insurance at 5&20 in Shipshewana and Tiffany’s Restaurant in Topeka. Delivery to homes is also available for those who are shut-in. Reservations for meals or requests for delivery can be made by calling New Life Church at 260-593-0400. New Life Fellowship is located at 2755 South and Ind. 5 south of Shipshewana.
Food drive at Interra — All this week, through Saturday, Interra Credit Union will be collecting food, personal care items, household supplies and paper products at their offices throughout Elkhart County. Items will be donated to The Salvation Army, The Window, Family Christian Development Center, Open Door, Middlebury Pantry, Jefferson Pantry, Fairfield Food Pantry, Church Community Services and the Syracuse Food Pantry.
Turkey Stampede — Runners and walkers will be on their mark at 8:30 a.m. for the annual Turkey Stampede at McNaughton Park, 701 Arcade Ave., Elkhart. It includes a 10K run, 5K run or walk and a 1-mile walk and a chance win $25 by catching a running “turkey.” The cost is $15 on site. For complete race details, go online to www.StoneSoupPromotions.com.
Piano concert — Pianist Nicholas Roth will perform at Ruthmere starting at 7 p.m.
Roth, who is internationally recognized, is an Elkhart native.
His program will feature works by Louis Moreau Gottschalk, Heitor Villa-Lobos, Liszt and Beethoven. There is an admission fee of $20 per person.
Mark Miller benefit Nov. 24 — A benefit to generate funds for a trust fund for the children of murder victim Mark Miller is set to take place Nov. 24 from noon to midnight at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 88, 1519 Bristol St. in Elkhart.
There will be games and prizes for children. Children younger than age 13 will not be permitted after 6 p.m. Food and drinks will be available, as will $1 beer, tattoos, value package photo opportunity, bake sale, grill-off and a Minute to Win It challenge. There will be a beer pong tournament after 6 p.m. for those older than age 21.
Peach Tree Otis, Randy and the Finks, Banana Jones, Illusions Fate and Shades of Grey will provide music. Advance tickets are $6 for adults and $4 for children younger than 6 years old available at 500 Baldwin St., Elkhart, or by calling 225-0743. Tickets at the door will be $8 and $4.
Those who are unable attend but would like to make a donation can visit any 1st Source Bank for the Mark Miller Benefit Fund or mail to the Mark Miller Benefit Fund, 500 Baldwin St., Elkhart, IN 46514.
Community Thanksgiving services
- Breaking News
Bristol bank robbery suspect arrested
A South Bend man has been arrested in connection with a bank robbery last year in Bristol.
Zamale E. Davis, 19, 1805 Chapin St., was arrested at 7:10 a.m. Friday in South Bend by officers with the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service.
Six injured in crash northwest of Wakarusa
A two-vehicle crash injured six people north of Wakarusa Tuesday.
The mishap occurred around 7:20 a.m. at the intersection of C.R.s 1 and 26.
Driver critically injured in Kosciusko County crash
A one-vehicle crash injured two men — one critically — south of Leesburg Tuesday.
The mishap occurred on C.R. 150 West just south of C.R. 400 North around 5 p.m.
Man killed in South Bend while possibly on bike
Police in South Bend say a man was fatally shot in the head
UPDATE: Main Street in Goshen closed due to gas leak
Goshen firefighters and Northern Indiana Public Service Co. workers are at the scene of a gas leak in at the intersection of Lafayette and Main streets in Goshen. Some residents in the immediate area are being evacuated.
Gas leak reported at Main and Lafayette streets in Goshen
Emergency responders are at the scene of a gas main leak in the area of Main and Lafayette streets in Goshen.
Goshen High School percussionists named World Champions
The Goshen High School concert percussion ensemble won the gold medal and was named World Champion Friday evening at the Winter Guard International World Championships. The competition took place in Dayton, Ohio.
Goshen firefighters battle blaze at Brookside Manor
Goshen firefighters battled a blaze at a home in Brookside Manor Mobile Home Park this morning.
The residence is located along Orchid Avenue in the park on Goshen's northwest side.
- BREAKING: Part of Fifth Street blocked off
Goshen percussionists earn No. 1 ranking
Percussionists from Goshen High School have triumphed in preliminary competition at the Winter Guard International Percussion World Championships in Dayton, Ohio.
- More Breaking News Headlines
- Bristol bank robbery suspect arrested